High output LED H3 bulbs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
I've got a set of four older 8" round PIAA lights that I'd like to put on my 60. They're classic looking and I already have a harness for them that I built for my previous 60. I'm looking to relieve the load on my antiquated electrical system so I've been looking for LED H3s to replace the original halogen bulbs. Imagine four 85w halogen bulbs cooking while I idle down a trail at night, or park the truck and use the lights to set up camp - the electrical system in the 60 won't be able to keep up. That's just shy of 30 amps of current draw. Yikes.

But here's where it gets difficult: the original bulbs are 85w and I'd like to keep that brightness level. All of the high-lumen LED H3s I can find are all huge with a fan on the back - those don't fit in the PIAAs. In the smaller more original size I can only seem to find "fog light" bulbs that are "30-40w equivalent". Is that really what I'm stuck with? Is there anything in the 2000+ lumen range for LED H3s without the huge fan on the back? The LED bulbs with fans are in the 8000-15000 lumen range and the fog lights are in the 500-1000 range, so I feel like there should be something in the middle (2000-5000 lumens) that doesn't need a damn fan, but I keep coming up empty.

I'm not looking to replace the alternator, as most of the "high output" alternators are only providing the same current at idle. A smaller pulley benefits idle but generates more heat and high rpm. I've upgraded the alternator charge wire to 4awg, and upgraded all major grounds to 2awg. I've made a lot of other electrical improvements replacing old corroded wires, switching to LEDs for almost every other bulb, etc. The systems works great and I sit at 13.5V at idle with every accessory going. This post is strictly limited to the bulbs for the PIAAs.

Check out Daniel stern lighting if you haven’t been there. Lots of good info and might find what you’re looking for. He’s old school and you used to have to call and talk to him to place an order. Worth the conversation imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom