African Outback Drawer System Installed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally made time and installed the drawers yesterday.. the installation took a good part of the afternoon and most of the night (I like taking long breaks).. having an extra set of hands to help in some parts made things easier.. I'm really pleased with the quality and capacity of those drawers.. the fact that it held all (except one item) of my mess including the portable anchor is amazing! no more jumping inside the cargo and searching for that snatch strap or winch remote :bounce:

here are before and after pics

before.JPG

after.JPG

I've snapped some shots during the installation.. I can do a brief write-up if you guys are interested :)

sig, did you receive my email?

Nice... looks factory...

nice
what's the black conical thing on the top left?

@HDJ100L
yeah, just read it.. I'll try to get you the part number as soon as I can..

@e9999
that's the one thing that didn't fit in the drawers.. It's an Coleman 1 million candle hand held halogen (i think) spot light.. Had it since 1994 and it still works fine.. :)

That looks great. Is this the same system that Slee sells in the USA? I really like the stock look.

Those drawers are sweet I look forward to the write up.

Some nice drawers here with some other options and ideas.

Truck Vault - drawer systems

t-ss1N.jpg

I'm sold, definitely will be adding the drawer system to mine. Although I would prefer a lower profile drawer so I could still get my hounds in the back.

Nice work Sig. Could you post a pic or provide a link to your anchor?

Thanks,

Doug

@UltraFJ

I got the anchor through the ARB dealer here.. it was in the ARB catalogue for 2003.. I think it was called the portable rescue tree in the catalogue.. here are a couple of pics.. carrying case was made locally...

anc3.JPG

anc8.JPG

edit:
found a linky

Last edited:
siglo said:
@UltraFJ

I got the anchor through the ARB dealer here.. it was in the ARB catalogue for 2003.. I think it was called the portable rescue tree in the catalogue.. here are a couple of pics.. carrying case was made locally...

anc3.JPG

anc8.JPG

edit:
found a linky

Looks like a variant of the PullPal...

Sweet, have you put it to the test in lightly packed sand? I think thats exactly what I need in SW Fla. Sometimes there isn't a tree for miles and miles.

Thanks again,

Doug

@UltraFJ

haven't got stuck deep enough (yet) to test it.. last time I got stuck the rear locker got me out :)

Looks great! Nice job.

Now you need a "half" cargo barrier to load all your stuff up against. Photo attached is only of the mounting points, maybe I'll take one of mine some time.
cargo barrier.jpg

Edit:
This is a link for the factory instructions in PDF format.. (Right-Click & Save As)

pictures below are not meant to replace the factory instructions but rather visualize the install process ;)

These steps are for LCs fitted with 3rd row seats.. for vehicles not fitted with third row seats some drilling might be required depending on whether there are holes underneath the carpet or not..

pic 1) cut a small square in the carpet to reveal the rear tie down bolt and remove the rear tie downs..
1.JPG

pic 2) Place the plastic block underneath the carpet like shown
2.JPG

pic 3) before placing the frame you might want to remove the locking plates and plastic covers shown in pictures 6 through 9..
3.JPG

pic 4) secure right hand side brackets using 4 m6x12 nuts for each.. make sure all nuts are facing outwards.. the rear right bracket is also secured to the front cross panel as shown.. to fit the front right bracket (or ear as per the manual) a bearing needs to be removed..
4.JPG

pic 5) brackets are color coded so fitting them is quite simple
5.JPG

pic 6) I found removing the plastic cover of the side locking plates makes the rails flush with the floor.. removing it all together would probably be a good idea but I was too lazy especially after I banged my knee against the frame a couple of times to remove the stupid plastic cover.. :mad:
6.JPG

pic 7) the frame is placed flush on the floor
7.JPG

pic 8) remove the plastic covers to expose the center locking plates..
8.JPG

pic 9) remove the center locking plates and refit the bolts near the center of the vehicle.. the sticker is covering the hole were the bolt to fit the frame to the floor should go..
9.JPG

pic 10) bolt down the frame to the floor using the vacated rear tie down and center locking holes..
16.JPG

pic 11) at this stage insure that all bolts securing the frame to the floor are tightened and all bolts securing the side brackets are tightened with the nuts facing outwards..
10.JPG

pic 12) slide in the drawers and place the drawer stops on the drawer rail as shown.. make sure the orientation of the drawer stop is correct..
11.JPG

pic 13) bolt down the drawer stop using appropriate washers and spring washers as shown..
12.JPG

pic 14) fit the left hand side floor at this stage but do not tighten the screws all the way down.. make sure you don't apply too much down force while tightening the screws or the factory fitted nut on the rails below would fall down (it's a PITA to get the out and fit it again if it falls down)
13.JPG

pic 15) fit the fridge slide and fridge slide stop.. ensure that the orientation of the stop matches the diagram in the manual.. after the fridge slide is installed, fit the right hand side floor pieces and tighten all screws securing all floor pieces..
14.JPG

pic 16) underneath view of drawer stop and floor installed..
15.JPG

pic 17) now the fun part.. load all your gear :bounce:
17.JPG

Last edited:
100 TD said:
Now you need a "half" cargo barrier to load all your stuff up against. Photo attached is only of the mounting points, maybe I'll take one of mine some time.

That is a ridiculously massive ARB sticker on the glass. Have a pic of that you can post up?

PKP80 said:
That is a ridiculously massive ARB sticker on the glass. Have a pic of that you can post up?

I took the photo at the Melbourne Australia 4X4 EXPO in 2002 I think, it was the "ARB display LC100", I took it to see how and where the mounts for the half height cargo barrier fitted before I purchased mine, so sorry, no pics from the outside!

The drawer system is cool, but I have absolutely no use for it. Needless to say, thank you Siglo for your continued contributions to the forum. I know other people are drooling over those right now!

Another great feature to the AO drawers: No rattles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom