Advice on Transmission please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the two types of transmissions in the 70 series cruisers now are (as specs in my country "middle east specs")
1) H150F for 1FZ-FE and the new V6
2) R151F in 1HZ engine (still available here)
i read a lot that the h150 is a heavy duty trans and better than the r151, my question is what are the weak points of the r151, is it reliability or something else? should it effect my decision to buy a diesel 1HZ pickup because it has the r151 transmission??

Hi, r151 great f irst gear,watch out for aluminum shift fork wear, otherwise just mainly clips and normal seal wear. Toyota maint. needs to be done on time. Lots of sand in your area which will require more frequent inspections and maintainance on any cruiser. 2 cents Mike

the two types of transmissions in the 70 series cruisers now are (as specs in my country "middle east specs")
1) H150F for 1FZ-FE and the new V6
2) R151F in 1HZ engine (still available here)
i read a lot that the h150 is a heavy duty trans and better than the r151, my question is what are the weak points of the r151, is it reliability or something else? should it effect my decision to buy a diesel 1HZ pickup because it has the r151 transmission??

Weak points are the 3 piece shaft,the synchroes and the bearings,well thats the answer I got from a gearbox rebuilder who specailises in landcruiser gearboxes.
There was some upgrades to the box in 02 which cured a much of the problem.
It wouldnt put me off owning a HZJ78/79 though . The R151 is relatively cheap to buy new.
If you are a good driver and the only one driving it,you should get a long life from it

Marlin sells a rebuild kit,which is very good. Mike

thank you guys
very useful info
although changing a complete trans is NOT cheap in my country

only me will drive the truck, and i think i'm a decent driver,
will use truck mainly for work in farm and building sites, must have 33 mt's on it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom