Advice on possible purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I was hoping to see if you could spare some knowledge on a noob like myself as I’ve recently been offered a 95, 1hdft cruiser with center diff only and 290k km on the clock for $18k here in the states. Seller says the ac compressor was rebuilt, has new belts, new brakes, new batteries. It also has aftermarket exhaust, snorkel, and lift kit, though it’s probably worn. Needs new tires and the sunroof doesn’t work.

I honestly have a budget of $16k and was planning to buy a gasser here which I would later turn to diesel, but I was considering stretching my budget for this one since it is the better motor, but also don’t know if I should be weary as he said the undercarriage had rusty components, which I could upgrade, but no corrosion.

I was hoping to see if anyone had any input based on the photos and info as I’ve been searching for 7 months to no avail and I know desperation can kick in sometimes, but some experienced folks like yourselves can sorta keep me grounded.

Thank you in advance for any time and info you can spare, and I hope you all have a great day!!

2A09FE56-C3F3-46E4-9DAD-815B87813F6F.jpeg

85146D58-8076-4E4C-881A-E939FA131732.jpeg

9D21C07C-5DAE-4199-9AB4-D767FF924DFA.jpeg

47A77D9F-A14D-4B07-A4D6-4E44C972421C.jpeg

33F22FF0-810F-4343-988B-F17F5D8F0C8B.jpeg

C07D3B1B-74DF-4E29-8382-728D314FADF5.jpeg

5B285E5B-0194-418C-92F3-CC7753F259D6.jpeg

073351B5-D3C4-4D0C-804F-F853EEE61E84.jpeg

A657A361-BA83-4337-A951-3CB2135D8E8F.jpeg

1B662777-9B6A-42BB-8713-FD8CAB8C53C5.jpeg

Used car salesmen response? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Most of these guys flipping JDM Cruisers are doing it sight unseen. They buy at auctions in Japan on sites like goo.net and other than that they really are no different than your average used car lot salesman in any city. They are selling used cars for a profit, that is it.

So in my opinion if you are going to buy from them, educate yourself going into it and be ready to walk away.

The majority of JDM Cruisers I have seen have rust, often hidden or hard to find. Many come from coastal areas. I have also seen a number of issues from lack of use and or strictly city driving such as worn out 1st and 2nd synchros in the manual trans. Again educate yourself and view in person of get 3rd party inspections before purchase can save you heartache.

This applies to any Cruiser purchase.

Cheers
I’m sure he is based on the way he spoke, but who knows. I’m starting to fall in the mindset of finding a good one here in the US and taking care of it until the engine gives and replacing that engine with either another gasser (like Mike from overland bound) or diesel if I feel the need to. I guess I was looking for a triple locked specimen based on the hype, but everyone seems to say aftermarket is just as good if you have the money.
wow. that would be considered very good underneath in the uk..
lol I guess I might’ve missed out then. 😓 I just hope my patience pays off at some point. I told my girlfriend last night that this search has me so defeated that I’m starting to side eye Mitsubishi Monteros/Pajeros/Shoguns (depending on where you live haha)
But we’ll just have to see what happens. 😞

Not knowing how far you are wanting/able to stretch the budget, but I would have a look at this one for sale on mud. For nothing else have a look for comparison purposes:

Great value for what is on offer, and it would be easy to get above that price in a hurry cleaning up and fixing up a mid 20s, stock JDM unit of unknown history.

Good luck with your search.

I’m sure he is based on the way he spoke, but who knows. I’m starting to fall in the mindset of finding a good one here in the US and taking care of it until the engine gives and replacing that engine with either another gasser (like Mike from overland bound) or diesel if I feel the need to. I guess I was looking for a triple locked specimen based on the hype, but everyone seems to say aftermarket is just as good if you have the money.

lol I guess I might’ve missed out then. 😓 I just hope my patience pays off at some point. I told my girlfriend last night that this search has me so defeated that I’m starting to side eye Mitsubishi Monteros/Pajeros/Shoguns (depending on where you live haha)
im not saying you have missed out, if thats poor by US standards, then its poor by US standards.

just saying you fellas should think yourselves lucky everything doesnt turn to brown dust like it does in the UK..:)

Great value for what is on offer, and it would be easy to get above that price in a hurry cleaning up and fixing up a mid 20s, stock JDM unit of unknown history.

Good luck with your search.
I would personally take an unknown JDM import with a 1HDT over a well maintained local 1HZ-T

Honestly, there is a vast difference between the HD and HZ motors (in fact the 12HT is significantly superior to a 1HZ-T as well).

ED65A4A5-6A5E-496F-8258-1C916F85DC58.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom