Advice on how to access top two transmission/engine bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't forget the torque convert bolts on the flex plate before you pull the engine, and we did pull the exhaust manifolds and the engine mounts believe we had a ratchet strap or two on under the front of the trans to support it after the the bolts were pulled.
Was able to get the torque plate bolts out. Thanks for the reminder. Not sure why I would need to pull the exhaust manifolds, although seems simple enough.

Pull it all. It's easier than trying to leave the transmission in place
Yes, my FSM only gives instruction for full engine/tranny removal. I hoping to not go this route. Of course if I'm able to find these two bolts, then use the secrets noted in this thread, how will I get them back in? Tape them to the socket and spare hands at the firewall?

Yes, my FSM only gives instruction for full engine/tranny removal. I hoping to not go this route. Of course if I'm able to find these two bolts, then use the secrets noted in this thread, how will I get them back in? Tape them to the socket and spare hands at the firewall?

I think they make swivel sockets with magnets now, but I use some grease. Just pack a little in the socket and the suction will hold the fastener in there.

Last edited:
Another tip: don't pull up on the engine and transmission too much or you can damage the lines for the rear heater. The later years are steel, so they hold up a bit better, but the earlier ones are brass and can be damaged easily.

Balance usually. Or a strip of regular scotch tape inside the socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom