Advice on a 91 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a 91 w/ 160K on it, body is in great shape, frame as well. I know it needs new rear shocks and front pads soon,belts are worn. The big thing is it also has a pretty good oil leak and the transfer case is leaking. Oil seems to be coming from the back of the engine. I am having the problems diagnosed further but thought if anyone had an opinion on what it might be or anything else to look for. He's asking $6500, but it seems a little high, maybe $5000-5500? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe, If you had a v8 or FZE motor to put in it, and lockers, and a full floater, disk braked rear end just laying around. I'm betting you can find a 93+ for less money than it would take to buy and fix that one. 91-2s are coil sprung 62s that don't look as good. Fj-62s are going cheap these days.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=5681;start=msg44998#msg44998 date=1064541191]
Fj-62s are going cheap these days.
[/quote]
Find me a $1000 one :cheers:

Gumby is spot on with dat - and you can quote me (although I'll deny it :flipoff2:). Get a 93+ - they are dirt cheap.

60's are the buy of the day. Heck, those pos's are so cheap to buy right now, that they may pay you to take it off their hands. :flipoff2:

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=5681;start=msg45006#msg45006 date=1064542341]
Find me a $1000 one :cheers:

[/quote]

Sold one for $800 just a couple of months ago. Nobody wanted it for $1000. Theres a 60 in chicago that wasn't getting sold for $500 last I heard.

Newbie,

The price is too high for what it needs. I picked up my 92 with 171K, in pristine condition with no problems for $7800 about a year ago. $5000 is more like it, but the leaks concern me. Toyota's shouldn't leak in any major way. A 350 conversion would be nice, but be prepared for quite a bit of work, and budget at least $4000 for a crate motor, fuel injection, adapters and accessories. If you want to hook up the factory air conditioning, budget another $1000.

Even then, you'd still have to reseal the transfer case...
Heck, offer the guy $3500 to $4000 with all the issues and bank the rest for needed repairs.

Don't let the 93+ crowd get you down, the 91-92 landcruisers are very comfortable and capable rigs, and the 3FE will run darn near forever with proper care. Mine has 182K on it, and others have 229K+ miles on these rigs with no major problems.

Junk failed to tell you he's already been through two engines and at least on his second tranny....but I have a feeling it's just his driving style. ;) :flipoff2:

Depending on where you live, one of us may be willing to check out the rig with you...

-H-

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=5681;start=msg45136#msg45136 date=1064591704]
Don't let the 93+ crowd get you down
[/quote]

Agreed, just because they are less expensive doesn't mean they aren't a great value. You get a proven engine with no head gasket issues for one. They are flat out dog slow if you live in the mountains or tow a lot, but again, no factory LC in which I've ever known is truly a tow rig. The 3F-E's a great off road engine as stated in here:
http://69.61.14.149/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5621

Bargain down, get a compression check and come out with a great value truck. :p

for 5,000 or so I think its a good deal. dont worry about speed- even in the hills I can go 70, isnt that above the speed limit of you guys back east :flipoff2:
besides, reason theres so many windows and so big is so you can enjoy the ride as you get there. thats why the 40's windows are bigger cause it goes slower :doh:

i feel like its a good intro to an 80, 93's are cheap, but havent seen any going for 6 or 7 grand.
if you can go up to 9 or 10 grand, then id look for a 93-95 with lockers

Thanks everyone for your opinion, the oil leak appears to be the rear seal. I think I will just pass as i am not in a rush. I'll keep my eye out for 93 or newer, and work on the wife ;) to spend the extra dough.

:beer: For the price, it might not be a bad intro to 80's. Like Hltopper, I got my 91 about 18mos ago for about 6500, it had 185,000 on it; no major probs (no major leaks, good paint, straight body and good interior). Spent some time and money on it, now I am about ready for mods. Still have a few things left to do, but I learned A LOT in the process(and from the board). Now I feel comfortable and confident in it. The 91-92's IMHO are very easy to work on. Now I am ready for an 93+ to add to it. If you know what you're getting into and ready for it, then go for it. I would say4000-4500 using the repairs as leverage. Mine had a small oil dribble from the rear main or the pan (never could pin it down) after switching to synth it stopped(or sweeled the seal enough). Another 2 cents worth. 8)

[quote author=Newbie625 link=board=2;threadid=5681;start=msg45158#msg45158 date=1064595386]
the oil leak appears to be the rear seal. I think I will just pass as i am not in a rush.
[/quote]

Ahh, I've seen rear seal leaks for 200k+ miles and nay a problem.

Brakes, rear axle, flares, wheels, tires, seats, carpet, windshield wipers/washers, rear door glass, quarter glass, tail gate glass, transfer case, rear driveshaft, springs, shocks, fenders, mud flaps, radiator, battery, cruise control, speedometer, turn signal sockets, clearance lamp sockets, tail lamp sockets, frame, front and rear bumpers, door trim panels, upper tailgate, transmission shifter,................... ;)

The hood's the same :rolleyes:

The only appreciable differences are the motor, rear discs/FF axle, ABS, and available diff lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom