Advice on 2007 Hilux purchase for my needs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I work in rural Tanzania and one program we have is basically building wire fences to protect livestock. We have a fleet of J70s and a LandRover that have previously done OK but I saw a Hilux on the market that I thought may suit our needs. We usually transport a team of workers and bundles of chain link fence along with some cement and steel poles (1.5" and 2.5"). We work in areas with unpaved roads and also have to go to the outskirts of villages with sandy or muddy terrain, which depends on the season. We completely overload our current vehicles and if anything the Hilux seems much more spacious but I want to make sure it can handle the load.

Our organization has never had a Hilux before and I see the lower engine capacity so I was curious on the major differences and if it's up to the job compared to a J70.

Hilux in question is 2007 double cab with engine capacity 2986. $8,500 with 177,000kms.

Also, any guidance on what exactly the engine is, I've only deduced its 4 cylinders but curious to know of its ease of repair in the bush and general maintenance reputation.
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 8.54.12 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 8.54.19 PM.jpeg

Hey it's mostly Americans on this sub forums and we didn't get the HiLux. The engine is non-turbo so if it's a diesel it looks like a 2.5 liter "L" engine. Maybe if you post up in the "Diesel" sub-form you'll get a better answer probably from someone from Australia or South Africa.

That is a 5L diesel engine. A simple and reliable engine by most accounts. Albeit slow.

You won’t find many people with them here on mud, but there are a few folks here with the 2LTE or 3L who know quite a bit about the engine family.

I'm up in Uganda. There are a lot of those 5L engines up here. The L series engine has been around a long time so it a simple engine and very easy to maintain. The injection pump is electric. Thats about the only modern part of the engine. Loaded they are not as nice to drive at high speed, above 100 kph, on tarmac but on dirt they are great. I also lived in TZ a few years ago and drove a 2008 hilux only difference was it had the d4d motor. They are good trucks and if the previous owner did good maintenance then that seems like a decent price.

It probably has a 5LE ,thats what came with the SAfrican models.

It wont work as hard as a 7* series, they are more car like. But they are still considered reliable. They have been the biggest selling car in Australia for a few years.

Thanks everyone, I bought the car today. Good to know the advice on the forum may be a bit scarce due to distribution. I struggled to find the appropriate place to post questions about it, thread was moved to "Diesel" so I assume that's the best place.

I'm up in Uganda. There are a lot of those 5L engines up here. The L series engine has been around a long time so it a simple engine and very easy to maintain. The injection pump is electric. Thats about the only modern part of the engine. Loaded they are not as nice to drive at high speed, above 100 kph, on tarmac but on dirt they are great. I also lived in TZ a few years ago and drove a 2008 hilux only difference was it had the d4d motor. They are good trucks and if the previous owner did good maintenance then that seems like a decent price.
This is extremely helpful, thank you. Good to know about the electric injection pump. For us, the less modern the better!

Good to know about the electric injection pump

Its still a mechanical pump. It just has EFI to improve engine performance and emissions. The 5LE gets about 5kw more over the 5L

Hello,

I beg to disagree with the engine type.

Hilux of this vintage had the 1KD engine. Almost the same displacement as the 5L but a different engine family.

It is DOHC, common rail, turbodiesel. It generates between 134 and 170 HP at 3400 rpm, depending on the variant.

It is a bit more complicated than the L engine. However, a bush mechanic can repair it. Proper maintenance is the key to reliability.

The 1KD is smooth to drive but it might feel a bit underpowered. Ask me how I know.

1KD-powered Hiluxes are very reliable. I have seen them perform well under severe conditions in the tropics.

Get that truck, have it serviced and put it to work.

Juan

Hilux of this vintage had the 1KD engine. Almost the same displacement as the 5L but a different engine family

I was going by this. You can get either engine depending on market, but if it was a 1KD it would have a turbo and 2.5 litre.

1583041884364.png

I beg to disagree with the engine type.
It's definitely a 5l. In Africa they offered this engine for many years while other places got the 1kd and 2kd engines. It's very common here. I live in Uganda and see them all the time.

And Rosco yes I should have worded that better the injection pump is not electric, but that it uses sensors to regulate the pump unlike a fully mechanical pump.

Hello,

I stand corrected then. My mistake.

Different markets got different engines. It is good to know that Africa got 5L-powered Hiluxes whereas other markets got 1KD engines.

Anyway, it should be a reliable engine if properly looked after.

You should get that truck.

Juan

Engine choice availability was based upon emissions requirements usually
The Hilux has many more markets than the 7*. Its big in SE Asia now, so its always a larger engine choice even if you cant get all engines in one market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom