Advice Bluetooth OBD2 Readers and Apps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m seeing a lot of different options out there for OBD2 readers now and was thinking of getting one. What setups are y’all using and what do you like/dislike about them?

I use this plug-in scanner from Amazon - wifi not bluetooth
Amazon product ASIN B077F8F6TB
In combination with 'car scanner' from the App Store (IOS)

I sometimes pull a camper with the hundy and was concerned about the engine temperature when towing - this enables the engine temperature to be monitored when the camper is hitched up. Temp gauge on the car did not move, however the car scanner data gives more definition and confirmed the correctness of the vehicles gauge.

This set-up provided all I need for small money..... seems to work good - no negatives.

I sometimes pull a camper with the hundy and was concerned about the engine temperature when towing - this enables the engine temperature to be monitored when the camper is hitched up. Temp gauge on the car did not move, however the car scanner data gives more definition and confirmed the correctness of the vehicles gauge.

This set-up provided all I need for small money..... seems to work good - no negatives.
I literally use the same set up. Works great

Veepeak reader with OBD Fusion app.

I’m looking for the same information as OP and curious if anyone else wanted to share additional “best” options?

I bought one of the cheapies of Amazon, $20AUD at the time I think they are close to $10 now. low profile so I leave it plugged in most of the time. Paired it with a cheap second hand android phone as we come from an Apple house.

Torque pro on the phone connects via bluetooth and gives far more stats than I know what to do with in both realtime and in CSV logs but for the most part I was keen on fuel use and transmission temp when towing the camper. Can also read and reset engine codes which has come in handy a few times.

Fuel use is a bit off compared to real world. it tries to tell me i average around 14-15l / 100km but my refill at the bowser would disagree and it does have a few random spikes that can mess with the numbers, e.g. engine revs will on occasion jump to 15000 odd and then return to normal. Not sure if that's an issue in the sensor or the app connections but it does render a few of the min/max features a bit redundant.

I’m looking for the same information as OP and curious if anyone else wanted to share additional “best” options?
OK - you prompted me to action as I am towing the camper to Moab this weekend - I just purchased OBD Fusion + the Toyota add-on ($20 total) - can now see the 'AT fluid temp' - takes 10 mins to install - can get a dashboard on iPhone (IOS) - works with my existing 'Foseal' plug-in wifi OBD scanner (see above) - might even put it on the IPAD - easier on the eye.

IMG_24764EC04347-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I am updating this thread for the sake of others who may be interested. I went with the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth scanner which comes with access to its own “OBDLink” software, and can also easily be used with Carista among many additional software options.

I am updating this thread for the sake of others who may be interested. I went with the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth scanner which comes with access to its own “OBDLink” software, and can also easily be used with Carista among many additional software options.

I paid ~$100 for this scanner but think it's worth it. It provides AHC pressure/height, fuel trim etc. pretty much all the data I'd need.

^^ ditto

What app are running, I have tried a lot and no go, they all connect to the elm327 mini bluetooth but they will not connect to the ECU. hmmmm

I had to stop using Torque Pro. It was causing my 98 to stutter on the highway and stall at idle. I use Dash command instead.

OBD fusion + Toyota add on ($20 total) - use iPhone and iPad - gives Transmission temp - useful when towing
Yes I have done that paid for the pro version and got the toyota 2000 add on for $20 new zealand but still no go connecting to the ecu, my phone connects to the bluetooth elm327 fine but the app can't connect to the ecu I have a 2000 landcruiser VX 1hd-fte 4.2 diesel 4 speed autoNew Zealand build, very disapointing!!

Yes I have done that paid for the pro version and got the toyota 2000 add on for $20 new zealand but still no go connecting to the ecu, my phone connects to the bluetooth elm327 fine but the app can't connect to the ecu I have a 2000 landcruiser VX 1hd-fte 4.2 diesel 4 speed autoNew Zealand build, very disapointing!!
sorry to hear about ur situation - super frustrating I can imagine - For reference I have 2000 LC 4.7 petrol (USA spec) - I dont know specifics of ECU connectivity - I just did what someone else recommended...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom