Advice about delicate gas plumbing situation? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes, if you drill them out it will work.
depending on the grill, you may be able to buy new orifices.
the ones you buy will already be sized correctly for your application to give you the proper btu output

i have adjusted the orifices on 2 stoves.
i enlarged the orifice on one burner on my parent's magic chef stove....took an hour to boil a big pot of water with 9,000 btu's...so i bored it out to give about 12,000. much better. had to be very careful not to overdo it and exceed the insulation capacity of the appliance.
on my home stove, it was actually too hot (something like 20,000btu burners) and difficult to get a good simmer. so, i called garland and they sent me a propane orifice which i bored out to somewhere in between the propane and the original NG orifice. works great.
the orifice should be brass...easy to drill. small increments is best ;)

so for a grill you only need to enlarge the orifices, not the actual burners? that sounds odd.

so for a grill you only need to enlarge the orifices, not the actual burners? that sounds odd.

that is correct only the orifices.
you need to find out a few things before you do this.
#1 the working pressure of the gas supply
i will assume it is 7'' w.c, thats what we work with here

#2 what is the rated input of your bbq, ? at what gas pressure and how many burners?

# 3 does your utility or local code, require that EVERY appliance requires a regulator,

then you have to divide the #of burners by the input to come up with an orifice size for the corrrect gas pressure.

then drill out the orifices with the appropriate drill size

what about the bbq. hose . must be approved with a quick disconnect

that is the correct answer.

clearly, Swampman is a pro with a much better and more detailed answer than mine. i am always amazed at the level of knowledge of some people here.

clearly, Swampman is a pro with a much better and more detailed answer than mine. i am always amazed at the level of knowledge of some people here.

thank you .

i like to think i know what im doing when it comes to gas and heating,
i was born into this job , my dad was a gas fitter for 40 years , and i have been at it for almost 30 yrs myself,

i dont really like to give out advice over the phone or computer cuz , well ,, you never know waht can happen, even somthing as simple as a bbq can get screwed up and s#$%t happens,

there are some things you just dont want to do yourself when the safety of you and your family are at risk and how do you put a price on that ?
by all means if you are capable , do it your self but get it inspected,

yup, found a conversion kit for my LP grill and sure enough it has all the orifices but no new burner. I imagine they think that there are enough holes in the burner tubes that it can accommodate the extra flow rate without excessive resistance, so that the extra cost of new burners is not required.

yup, found a conversion kit for my LP grill and sure enough it has all the orifices but no new burner. I imagine they think that there are enough holes in the burner tubes that it can accommodate the extra flow rate without excessive resistance, so that the extra cost of new burners is not required.

there's plenty of space for the gas to get out ....the orifice diameter determines the flow rate of the gas and, therefore, the btu's

Propane Usually runs at 11 inches and Natural Gas is 6 to 7 inches so almost 1/2 the pressure. Because of the lower pressure and Natural Gas is less than 1/2 the BTU per cubic ft. as Propane you need to have a larger orifice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom