Advice about delicate gas plumbing situation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just use your regular god damned pipe wrenches, make sure you are pulling the two wrenches together and take the fawkin cap off. PB blaster won't do s*** but kill your flowers or stain your patio. Household gas pressure is like 1/2 psi. You won't make a spark, the gas will be very diffuse in the environment. Just man up and take it off.

If you position the wrenches correctly, you can use a prybar between the two wrench handles for even more leverage without worrying about twisting the nipple at all.

Dude, you really need to get a buddy nearby who you can trade beer for building trades advice or just sell your house and move into a rental before you kill yourself or your neighbors. These threads are really starting to show a trend of hazardous and ignorant behavior on your part.

lol...

Dude, you really need to get a buddy nearby who you can trade beer for building trades advice or just sell your house and move into a rental before you kill yourself or your neighbors. These threads are really starting to show a trend of hazardous and ignorant behavior on your part.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting tried of seeing these dumba$$ posts by e666.

I don't know what is wrong with hiring a professional to do a job when it involves safety and/or code compliance? I guess some people are just too dumb and cheap that they're willing to risk the lives of their neighbors. They end up wasting other people's time and not listening to advice which they solicited.

I'm glad I don't live next to such dumba$$.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting tried of seeing these dumba$$ posts by e666.

I don't know what is wrong with hiring a professional to do a job when it involves safety and/or code compliance? I guess some people are just too dumb and cheap that they're willing to risk the lives of their neighbors. They end up wasting other people's time and not listening to advice which they solicited.

Some things never change

E9999 gets stuck in his own yard w/ lockers link:hillbilly:

Not surprisingly, no talent of yours needed anywhere eh...?

I'd put you on my ignore list but it's entertaining to read the spouting off... if decidely repetitive unfortunately...

Last edited:
Gas is about the only thing in my house that I wont play with because if done wrong, you can kill someone. People go to school and get ticketed for a reason. And besides that, if my insurance company ever found out that I modified the gas line, I wouldnt have coverage if needed. Definitely worth the hours labour to hire a pro, even if you can do it yourself. Just my 2cents

Pb blaster wont do s***. its not rusted on its doped on, as you can see in your photo.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly, no talent of yours needed anywhere eh...?

I'd put you on my ignore list but it's entertaining to read the spouting off... if decidely repetitive unfortunately...

in the future,...if you have any gas questions,...you might try PM'ing known certified plumbers so as to not upset Charles.

will be doing this shortly with wrenches, got the right valve (I hope...:) ). Just need to have everybody else gone for a while in case the hot water is off for a bit (again...)

Hope you got some pipe dope as well. Tape works usually, but I've seen leaks with it, and never with liquid. If you do use tape, make sure it's suitable for NG- typical white tape is not.

Hope you got some pipe dope as well. Tape works usually, but I've seen leaks with it, and never with liquid. If you do use tape, make sure it's suitable for NG- typical white tape is not.

I have not seen dedicated tape at my local store, but I may use some dope. Usually not keen on using goop for ease of unfastening reasons, although in this case it may have helped prevent corrosion to the threads (hopefully). I was planning to check for leaks with soap either way, always do.

It was in fact interesting to see that the "regular" brass water ball valves they are selling at my HD do in fact say on the label that they are suitable for gas as well. That I didn't know. I got a dedicated gas one (smaller handle) anyway.

Gas tape is usually on a yellow spool with black print around here, the tape itself is noticeably thicker and off-white. Pipe dope does not contribute to problems with loosening the joints later, in fact it helps keep threads clean and easy to loosen. The only downside that I'm aware of is cleanup- the stuff is a PITA and gets on everything. That said, I use it almost exclusively even thought the tape is much easier. I don't get a good feeling when using tape, and as mentioned before have seen it leak on water connections.

Gas tape is usually on a yellow spool with black print around here, the tape itself is noticeably thicker and off-white. Pipe dope does not contribute to problems with loosening the joints later, in fact it helps keep threads clean and easy to loosen. The only downside that I'm aware of is cleanup- the stuff is a PITA and gets on everything. That said, I use it almost exclusively even thought the tape is much easier. I don't get a good feeling when using tape, and as mentioned before have seen it leak on water connections.

X10000

I use Rectorseal on threads on pipe threads (water or gas). Teflon tape does not seem to seal as well and leaks. Tried on water and it leaked too.

I got some dope for this job, some TFE stuff labeled for gas. Never used this before but I'll give it a try.

But re: the above, I have to say that I have never had a leak with water and tape that could not be fixed by a bit more tape. Very rare overall that there is a leak and then probably my mistake by not putting on enough tape in the first place. Overall, I think teflon tape works great for water. I don't know why you guys are so down on it. Don't have much experience with tape and gas though.

I'm not all that down on it. I too have had water leaks that were fixed with more tape. I have never had a leak with liquid stuff. So which am I going to trust with gas?

e9999: You sure you want the lower btu output from NG? I guess some do like a slow cooked steak...:D

Did you get the darn cap off yet?

I'm not all that down on it. I too have had water leaks that were fixed with more tape. I have never had a leak with liquid stuff. So which am I going to trust with gas?

good point, especially if out of sight or not easily tested

e9999: You sure you want the lower btu output from NG? I guess some do like a slow cooked steak...:D

Did you get the darn cap off yet?

I had assumed that NG burners/orifices are sized larger than LP so you end up with similar Btu/hr outputs for same grill in either config. Is that not the case?

But, yes, not having to go get LP would be nice and way cheaper with NG I think.

waiting for some warm weather this weekend to take it on. Unless I go skiing or feel lazy of course... :)

I never use the white teflon tape, always the pink thicker stuff. Safe for gas as well. Never had it leak yet, and I've done loads of plumbing. I dont touch gas tho

Sorry, can't bring myself to using pink anything when working with manly tools like big wrenches... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom