actually flipping a drop axle. Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm converting a boat trailer with a 4" drop axle into a flatbed which I plan to eventually use to carry a cabover camper and a bunch of gear.

I need more clearance and I'm thinking about flipping the axle. My question is this:

I realize "flipping" the axle refers to switching spring position and not actually "flipping" the axle, but I'm wondering if I could actually flip the axle and create a 4" lift instead of a 4" drop.

Does this sound possible? Anyone ever heard of doing this? Any problems to anticipate?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I WOULD BE AFRAID THE 4" LIFT WOULD CAUSE A LOT OF AXLE WRAP EVERY TIME IT hit a pot hole or obsticle.

A couple people here have flipped over Dodge Caravan rear axles on homemade trailers (with the axle position remaining SUA, not SOA). So far no one has reported any problems with it.

If it does cause an issue, which I doubt it will, an anti-wrap control arm could be added.

i have read on a vintage trailer website that flipping drop axles changes the tires camber angle and will stress the axle where the drop section is. if its like my trailer axle is a solid 2 inch thick piece of metal i wouldnt do it just get lift blocks and u bolts much safer.

I flipped mine down to increase ground clearance.
No problem.

I was told by the guys at Southwest Trailer Parts where I bought my axle, not to do it. They couldn't tell me why, but told me that they had been asked the question before and that their engineers had told them it was a no-no. So I went with the 7,000lb axle and 33s to drap over anything.

This is what the axle on my trailer looked like when I had it off to do a flip
DSCN0902.jpg

You can see that the camber is built into the axle. I suspect your axle will look similar. If you flip it the tire camber will be off and the tires may wear faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom