Acetone in fuel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hmmmm...

Check this link out: Acetone as Additive

I certainly want to do more research before I even think about trying it, but it sure sounds interesting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chip

hate to break it to you, but it's been called a hoax by mechanics: http://www.kptv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3199410&nav=aXwJYZQB
Acetone is a stong solvent and used in paint thinners and removers. Good luck maintaining that shiny paint should you spill a bit. Watch out for those fuel pumps and lines too!
Cost and dangers may outweigh any benefits. Also, gasoline naturally contains small amouts of acetone (depending on brand).

On the other hand, here is a scientific article suggesting it has benifits: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Last edited:
I agree that acetone is the main ingredient in paint thinners/removers, but neither of those are 100% pure acetone. Also your link from Fox 12 is only based on opinion and not scientific or semi-scientific evidence, although they do have a link to the same site I originally posted.

If I did use acetone, I definately would watch for the paint... :doh:

Again, I'm not saying that this is a great idea, but it could be. We're just talking between 1 and 3 oz. per 10 gallons. At that dillution, I think the wear on any internal parts would be minimized if not elliminated altogether. The data on the linked site seems to show dramatic improvement in most applications (and they don't seem to be selling anything either). Of course, I would do some checking around and run my own careful experiments first to see if it really helps.

Thanks for the input!
Chip

Edit: FWIW, my original link and willywaxer's second link have the same author.

Last edited:
I had read long ago that acetone also kept fuel from going bad, just like the StaBil stuff does...not sure how much, I think it was in a old Learn to Sail book (when talking about keeping gas fresh on a boat...hmm, I wonder if they were talking about diesel, don't think so, since I would have made a mental note of that, and no-way would I forget! :D )

Been discussed at length on a couple other forums I read. Some people noticed improved mileage, but it was not determined if that was due to actual improved economy or a better running engine thanks to being cleaned(same effect as fuel injector cleaner). Additionally nobody had been using it long enough to notice long term improved economy or any negative side effects.

Acetone is miscible with water so may be it can help in removing any water from the fuel. It is a very good way of cleaning out vessels that have water in them, just add acetone shake to mix with the water then warm up and it all just evaporates very quickly.

There was a good discussion on another Toyota 4 wheeling forum:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=717013&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

My thoughts are, at such a low percentage, there is not enough of it to chemically change the combustion of the fuel. If there is infact an increase in mileage, then the acetone is making the fuel enjection run leaner. Modern fuel injected engines already run pretty lean, so running leaner means you're running your engine hotter, which means it won't last as long.

At best, the added acetone will acomplish nothing, at worse, it will damage seals and cause premature wear due to running too lean and hence hotter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom