AC question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CSteppe82

Legalize Cannabis
SILVER Star
Threads
Every year I have to have freon added to the 62. Does it just creep out over time because of the age of the system ? Is it worth trying to repair or should I just keep adding freon every summer ? Thanks

that system is full of places for it to leak- as all of them are. there is a place in AZ called cool stream. A mud member, Rex, used to work there so they started catering to our needs. they have all the goodies youd want except I got my denso evap core from parts geek. There is an oring kit. there is a compressor rebuild kit, including bearings for the clutch. you can also just get a new comp, which is what I did...bottom line is before wasting any more refrgerant, you should have the system evacuated and vacuumed to dry it and to test it for leaks. at that point, the leak will be easy for a tech to find; more tricky if you try to do it yourself, but it can be done...I'd advise an evac, take it home so you can disassemble the entire system to replace ALL the orings, test and replace the switches, clean out the 16 pounds of organic decay that lodges inside your blower house and evap case, and put it all back together to get tested by your AC tech to make sure you got it fixed. Have it charged with r12. if you're going to convert it to 134a, you'll need to drain the oil from the comp and add the correct oil for 134a, replace the drier and condenser. My fitting at my condenser stripped and I ended up epoxying it once I thought I got the ring to seat. my fingers toes and everything else were crossed when I went to have it tested and charged. it held. this is a winter later and I still blow snow balls...most important thing is to make sure you have no leaks; it is easy, just time consuming and has an order of events...another warning- do not add things that are not r12 to your system or the AC tech will s*** a brick. HTH

How hard is it to "disassemble the entire system " to replace the o-rings ?

you must remove...the PS pump, associated belt and hosen, upper half of a split fan shroud, I pulled the battery box, too...remove the air cleaner(easier access to fittings at comp), windshield wiper motor, glove box, center dash bezel, main dash bezel, radio- you should pull the shifters for more room, the suitcase is a trick to pull out, but it does come out with enough wiggle room- BE GENTLE- drop the blower fan to clean the squirrel cage...you MIGHT get a heater core- I dont' think I did and it'll suck if I have to get back in there for anything...may as well get the new pressure switch and thermo switch for the same while you're in there reasoning...it cost me over 500 bucks to do my overhaul, but that included a new compressor, new evap core and receiver drier, orings and r12...none of those things are difficult by themselves; it's the package deal that becomes a daunting task...I would not have gotten the same value if I had simply paid for it to be done by your average AC tech; they would not have cleaned the gunk out- I couldn't believe air still made it to the vent once I saw how packed it was...that was worth a few hours of shop labor alone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom