AC plug in the back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 2013 and the power went out the other day. We plugged in the Kuerig to make coffee. It turned on but when it came to the business Of making the coffee it shut off like it didnt have enough power. I plugged my Milwaukee battery charger in there and it will charge a battery for a while but it’s touchy.

What capability does this plug have? What can I do with it? I have a 2nd battery setup with a fridge as well. Would like to make use of AC power while driving.

All wisdom is welcomed!
Thanks!

I think it is on a 10a fuse. So the inverter sees 12v 10a= 120w before conversion losses. Maybe 100w?aybe 85w. It'll run my small 45w fridge no problem. It's not going to run a coffee maker or any kind of real load.

If you're talking about a Keurig Mini single serving coffee maker...it pulls, 1,470 watts.

Nothing short of engine on or a lithium backed battery system, with full size inverter is going to power that. Some of the portable lithium batts will do the deed.

What kinds of practical things can be plugged into it On the trail?

You can charge a laptop or *some* cordless tool batteries. I have also run a small Crock Pot on Low (keeping a batch of queso dip warm for a 90 min drive to a Super Bowl party). No way will it run any coffee maker, that would take a very large inverter. Best break out the JetBoil!

Well I’m Obviously not the best electrician lol.

What kinds of practical things can be plugged into it On the trail?
A fan. 120v led lights. An led TV. Things without motors or heating elements.

You can charge a laptop or *some* cordless tool batteries. I have also run a small Crock Pot on Low (keeping a batch of queso dip warm for a 90 min drive to a Super Bowl party). No way will it run any coffee maker, that would take a very large inverter. Best break out the JetBoil!
I was typing the same thing then noticed you already posted it. Yes Jet boil is the way to go for coffee

We use a Jetboil and a MSR pocket rocket for our cook set up.

If you can find one the old MSR reactor stoves will boil water twice as quickly as a jetboil, though they do produce a lot of CO, so no use inside closed cars.

If you can heat water (we use a Jetboil), this setup works well for good coffee: Gourmet PourOver Java Set

Coffee presses work okay too. We have one that goes in the jetboil, but I think the pour over coffee is better tasting.

A NOCO genius 5 charging a Lithium portable battery pack with a fridge plugged into the pack.. spec shows 75w for the 5A Charger. Lithium takes the fridge spike loads loads while the truck is running and provides the backup for when the truck is off. haven’t tried this, but in theory works with something like the PLb40.

i built my own LiFePo4 pack and will be trying this soon for a short weekend trip With the fridge in the 200. Will report back!

edit: you can probably run a fridge on it too directly, but only when the truck is running. The fridge + charger exceed 100w, so for simplicity Im just going to plug the fridg into the lifepo4 pack so I don’t have to swap wires. If I leave with the pack full, the NOCO should hold it the demand for the drive as lithium can charge quickly and the fridge only consume .85A/hr according to spec.

Last edited:
You can use a HotLogic back there. I have one for work and it rocks. Big trips I’ll bring it home and use it in the 200. You can heat up leftovers, even frozen meals.

it sounds like you may want to look into hard wiring a larger inverter into the truck!

If you can heat water (we use a Jetboil), this setup works well for good coffee: Gourmet PourOver Java Set

Hand crank coffee grinder? OMG I can't deal with that. My setup:

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191224181239302_COVER.jpg

You can use a HotLogic back there. I have one for work and it rocks. Big trips I’ll bring it home and use it in the 200. You can heat up leftovers, even frozen meals.

You know, if only we had a large source of constant heat somewhere in the vehicle. Heat that was otherwise being wasted by pushing it through a large heat exchanger. Hmmm...

Amazon product ASIN 1416596232

My old go to was heat on high, defrost, and throw the canned soup on the dash with some clothes over top. Winter isn’t bad but now I don’t need to sweat out the truck on mild days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom