AC Condenser Woes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
About a year ago I brought the LX into a local shop to diagnose my lack of AC. It turned out that the condenser had a sizable hole in it. They wanted to charge about $550, $300 was for an after market condenser. I ended up purchasing an after market one for $120 at Rockauto thinking I'd do the job myself. As usually happens, we got into a time crunch needing the rig for a road trip last summer so I contacted the shop that diagnosed it about installing the condenser I had in the garage - $240 seemed reasonable for install, evac and recharge of the system. It worked great for our road trip and then we were into non-AC weather. Now that we've warmed up again here in MN the AC no longer blows cold. I took it back to the shop and they reminded me that they can only warrant the labor, not the part since I brought it in. Their finding is that the new condenser has a leak in the lower left corner of it... after a total of about 1,200 miles since last September... Is this just my bad luck or should I get a 2nd opinion? If it is the condenser (again) does anyone know where to get this job done for less than our first born? I know nothing about AC but was willing to try it on my own before baby #1 came along, now with baby #2:eek: coming my free time is certainly a thing of the past...

Replacing the condenser and recharging is not a very time-consuming task if you have the tools (vac pump and manifold gauge set). R&R on the condenser is pretty easy and quick. The condenser itself is a bit expensive, but your aftermarket condenser cost you just a tad less than an OEM condenser from Cdan.

If you are able, you're better off getting a new condenser from Cdan and doing the job yourself. Otherwise, you're probably looking at $500-600 to have a shop do it for you and you'll loose about the same amount of time taking it there and getting it back...

A seam in the condenser is leaking - guess that's what I get for going with after market...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom