AC Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am a ac novice...but the compressor would be the last thing i replace. I would replace the valve or almost everything. The denso stuff from non Toyota dealler is not that expensive. Maybe a few hundred in parts? One the system is open just install it all, repace all the little o rings you can and get someone to charge it up.

I felt like it was worth the extra money to replace more parts than do it twice.

Some of the parts like a drier have limited lifespan and are cheap. Others like the condenser and evap arnt cheap but not too bad. I think around $150 for denso? They get damaged or get corrosion And small leaks over the years. To me i just replaced it all except the compressor.

This is the only place on my truck that i didnt use OEM parts. I think i got the denso parts mostly off rock auto or something. But i think there are some better venders to deal with.

Ps. Unless somone smarter than me (most everyone) comes along and says not to. When you reassemble the system use a little UV dye in it. In the future you will be able to find leaks easier.

Unless like me you splill the crap all over and get it on you hands. Than it is on everything you touch.

I am a ac novice...but the compressor would be the last thing i replace. I would replace the valve or almost everything. The denso stuff from non Toyota dealler is not that expensive. Maybe a few hundred in parts? One the system is open just install it all, repace all the little o rings you can and get someone to charge it up.

I felt like it was worth the extra money to replace more parts than do it twice.

Some of the parts like a drier have limited lifespan and are cheap. Others like the condenser and evap arnt cheap but not too bad. I think around $150 for denso? They get damaged or get corrosion And small leaks over the years. To me i just replaced it all except the compressor.

This is the only place on my truck that i didnt use OEM parts. I think i got the denso parts mostly off rock auto or something. But i think there are some better venders to deal with.

I agree with this, the last time I worked on mine before this spring, I didnt replace my condenser, (original to the vehicle) and I am kicking myself for it now.

One more thing I keep forgetting to mention, I cant emphasize enough the importance of the vehicle cooling system being in good shape. The fan draws air through the condenser as well as the radiator, and without it functioning properly, you'll have lackluster performance at low RPM and idle, which can lead to all kinds of difficult to trace symptoms.

Last edited:
I ordered a new drier from ressler, already have the expansion valve, and ordered an o ring kit and R134a from amazon,
I will tear into the project sometime this week. Im trying to decide if i need to flush my lines and evap/condenser. You are welcome to stop by and see how it goes.

I ordered a new drier from ressler, already have the expansion valve, and ordered an o ring kit and R134a from amazon,
I will tear into the project sometime this week. Im trying to decide if i need to flush my lines and evap/condenser. You are welcome to stop by and see how it goes.
I'm a bit behind. How did this go?

It went great. Took me a couple of hours to do. A/c blows cold, I got 45° vent temps and it does not cut out anymore.
Awesome! I'm having to replace my front bumper, and the drier is exposed because of that so I'm thinking about doing mine this weekend. The expansion valve sits right on top of the drier, right?

Awesome! I'm having to replace my front bumper, and the drier is exposed because of that so I'm thinking about doing mine this weekend. The expansion valve sits right on top of the drier, right?
No, the expansion valve is on the evaporator, which is behind the glove box.

It's standard practice when opening the a/c system to always replace the drier. In hot climates or any hint of an issue the expansion valve should be replaced. Always change o rings if removed. Use caution with the aftermarket oring kits. The green a/c orings can work well but the kits often have orings that may not be quite the right size and can tear on installation. If you have had a front end collision the condenser can deflect and pinch off the flow of refrigerant even if not physically hit, just from the impact forces. Always check it for straightness. Oil is added in certain quantities depending on component changed. Check FSM. There are aftermarket oil check devices available too. You should always vacuum down the system before recharging soon after the drier is installed which should be the last item of the system replaced to minimize it absorbing moisture. In Louisiana with very high humidity I have heard of guys vacuuming the system down for 4 hours. After vacuuming, close off system and see if you lose any vacuum after 30 minutes. If not, that's a good indicator of a sealed system. Then charge by weight.

Just ordered the drier and expansion valve. I'll probably do the drier this weekend while the bumper is still off, and then the expansion value when I have time to pull the glove box out. should be interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom