AC Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the same problem. My research led me to believe it's the expansion valve. I bought the part but haven't replaced it yet.

Just based on reading lots of a/c posts here on mud. I suppose if it doesn't work it may be the compressor, but I'm pretty sure it's the expansion valve.

Just based on reading lots of a/c posts here on mud. I suppose if it doesn't work it may be the compressor, but I'm pretty sure it's the expansion valve.
I did some reading up last night on the AC Expansion Valve, and I think you're probably right about that being the issue. What I can't figure out is a way to actually diagnose it.

That does look like the piece I have. I will find it and take pics after work. I got mine from ressler, i think it was around $80, with the club discount if you are a member of 406cruisrrs.

20170518_123438.jpg

my only thought on this 1 is, when the ac quits is the clutch on the compressor still engaged? any relays in the system and is the system fully charged. Harbor freight sells a economical sniffer that works ok. Good luck, ac problems can be a pia for such a simple system.

I have a gauge set if one wanted to check for proper pressure. I havent checked mine. Just bought the part based on several posts on the issue.

my only thought on this 1 is, when the ac quits is the clutch on the compressor still engaged? any relays in the system and is the system fully charged. Harbor freight sells a economical sniffer that works ok. Good luck, ac problems can be a pia for such a simple system.
I'm not sure how to even check to know if the clutch is still engaged. I'm thinking about having Rising Sun take a pass on it to make sure I know what is really going on before I start buying parts.

I had Rising Sun do some diagnostic work on the AC for me. They confirmed it was the Expansion Value, but also mentioned that the Reciever Dryer needed to be replaced. @secretasiansam have you replace yours yet?

Yeah, I might try to work on it later this summer. Let me know if you'd like some help and we could try to do both. RS quoted ~$500 for it because it was ~4hrs of labor.

I had Rising Sun do some diagnostic work on the AC for me. They confirmed it was the Expansion Value, but also mentioned that the Reciever Dryer needed to be replaced. @secretasiansam have you replace yours yet?

So look, the expansion valve is almost always the problem with intermittent cooling issues on an 80. The other being the trucks actual cooling system, the temp control switch will cut the AC once the truck reaches a certain coolant temp to prevent overheating. For the record, the Denso compressor on the 80s is statistically one of the lowest failure rates in the industry. They NEVER go bad on their own. They are usually damaged by AC shops, or home mechanics, running them with no, or too much PAG.

So if you take the system down to the point where you can replace the expansion valve, you will have done WAAAAAAY more work than is required to replace the drier. The Denso (OEM Brand) drier from Rockauto is 14.00 and does exactly what its name implies, it removes moisture from the system. Once you expose the system to atmospheric air, there is more moisture in it than normal. Assuming you do a good true vacuum on the system before you recharge it (which some shops don't do) you will have removed almost all the moisture, whats left is handled by the drier. If your drier is 22 years old, just replace it. Its literally two bolts that hold the hard AC line to the top. Its located under the drivers side of the front bumper.

Have you read the threads on replacing the expansion valve? Its located on the evap core (Cooling Unit in Toyota terms) under the passenger side dash, behind the glove box. Its about 2 hrs worth of work. When you pull that unit, you will find it completely full of dirt, leaves, debris, and dead mice. Clean it and its fins thoroughly before you re install it. There is a comprehensive thread in which the process is described, I will link it here.

This link shows where the Expansion Valve is on the cooling unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom