AC Compressor rebuild

Anyone ever rebuild their AC compressor?

I found my leak in the compressor - it's somewhere around the main shaft. If I grab the clutch, I can change the amount it leaks.

Here's what I'm finding pricewise:
Autozone: Reman, $110 w/ 3mo warranty (have to use my clutch)
NAPA: Reman, $187 w/ 1yr warranty, but with all sorts of stipulations (have to use my clutch)
cruiserparts.net: used, $100 (probably a 30 day warranty (not sure about the clutch
Orielly: rebuild kit $20
Benbrook Lake: probably about 50ft deep near the dam

Not sure which way to go on this...but I don't want to throw a lot of money at it.

Glancing thru FSM (a/c system): doesn't look hard . . .somewhere between the 'bearing & seal' task for, say, PS pump...but requires cleanliness of auto tranny.
Maybe you can find one in a junk yard, rebuild it 'at your leasure' . . .

Pete

I looked through the FSM and couldn't find anything on the compressor rebuild. What section (and what book, I guess) were you looking at?

I've got a used one coming, and will probably rebuild the old one, just in case.

Hey Swank, i have a toyota service manual on how to rebuild a AC compressor. I work in Fart Worth and can meet you sometime and let you use it.

jason

The manual i have has the entire breakdown of the compressor and how to take it apart and rebuild.

Top Bottom