AC Compressor making a grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just recently when I hit the switch to turn on the ac compressor I hear this really loud grinding noise when the clutch kicks in. When I turn off the switch it stops. Its still R-12 and has leaked out in the past and i have added Dura-cool stuff sense then. My question is, have any others ever heard this noise, and if so did the ac compressor go out? Is it the bearings? Do I need to replace the whole compressor? If so How much oil goes into the new compressor? Any other tips that you guys may have would be great.

Thanks James

toasted compressor

Hi, it does sound like the compressor is gone. I'd use a Denso re-man (#471-0204) and replace the drier (#478-0101). Find and fix the leak and put R12 back in. The compressor holds 8oz. of oil. When you take the old compressor off, pour some of the old oil out, and if it's black, I'd probably flush the condenser.
Good Luck!
Rex

clutch

Removing the clutch is pretty easy. Use a 1/4 or 3/8 impact to remove the nut holding the hub on, then remove the snap-ring holding on the pulley, and slide it off. I can't remember if the coil is held on with another snap-ring, a screw, or just pressed on. You're done!
I assume you're thinking of putting your clutch on another compressor? Changing out the clutch won't fix your compressor.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom