ABS issues......Spindle Bushing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys...been a long time. That's the trouble with a reliable rig.

I have been having ABS issues, thought at first it was a bad sensor but they checked out OK.
System resets and after a bit of driving the pedal would chatter a little coming to a slow stop pull a little to one side and the ABS light would come on. Typical ABS code and fail, light stays on for the rest of my drive...no biggie, just annoying.

After much thought I am wondering if a worn spindle bushing would cause the sensor to have alignment issues with the birfield ring and cause the problem.

Thoughts?

A bump to catch an answer

Maybe pull the ABS fuse to see how the brakes feel on a drive to help figure out if it's a electric issue or mechanic brake issue.

I had a similar issue when I swapped out an axle assembly from an older LC. ABS would pulse around 20 mph during accceleration. The sensor mount on the replacement spindle was not metal. Wound up having to shim the sensor down.

My initial problem was a bad wheel bearing. My brakes were starting to get soft because of the rotor moving while braking. I would pull apart your hub and check everything. Not likely a bad sensor or broken tone ring.

Have you cleaned the sensors? What codes?

I cleaned them, no change.
It was doing this before and after my last birf service but not as frequently before. Incidents came on progressively. Like something was slowly wearing out.

the code was driverside front failure.

If it was the sensor(s) would the system reset and let you drive for awhile and function normally?

Figured if it was a sensor it would fail at startup and the ABS light would just stay on.

It always fails the same way (pedal chatters, truck pulls left) sometimes it takes a couple of slow stops, codes out, and I carry on
without ABS.

That is my reasoning with the birf ring/spindle bushing. Correct me if i'm wrong but the isn't the spindle bushing all that really keeps the ring at the correct offset from the sensor,

Maybe pull the ABS fuse to see how the brakes feel on a drive to help figure out if it's a electric issue or mechanic brake issue.

When I hit the CDL switch and turn the ABS off myself the truck brakes and handles normally (except the obvious viscous coupler locked behavior) brake fluid is good, no leaks, lots of pad etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom