About to buy - a few questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

My name is Cody, and I have a prob...

(wait, wrong place)

Anyways, I've been browsing info for awhile on the 98+ Land Cruisers for awhile, but will hold off on purchasing one for another year or 2.

I didn't want to give up on the plan to have and modify a Land Cruiser though, so I decided in the meantime an FJ80 would suit me fine - and perhaps even better for my needs.

Now, on to my questions...

- Is there any extremely sought after US model? (Ive read that everyone dreams of the diesel swap...but that's a bit out of my range currently)

- I've found a 91 in white, 145k miles. I know Toyotas are good cars - but is that a bit much for mileage or nothing at all to be concerned with on a LC?

- The model I was looking at doesn't have any roof rack or remnants of a removed rack. Were there different models...or was this just an option to have a rack on all of them? It is cloth interior as well.

- I've also read that people are concerned with finding a LC with factory lockers. Is there a way to tell by looking at the vehicle if it has them or not? (I'm also new to 4X4's)

- Any specific problems I should be looking for in my quest to find a 91-97?

I'll post pics of the LC I looked at today in a bit.

No really sought after model... just lockers.
Just getting broken in at that milage
if it has lockers it'll have a switch to the left of the steering wheel that says DIFF LOCK
locker.jpg

91/92s are different than 93-97. They have a smaller less powerful engine but no matter which engine you get they are still slow, so its not that big of deal. 91/92 are FJ80s, 93-97 are FZJ80s

Read http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

I didnt get a good look at the left side of the steering wheel.

I did notice a knob in the middle of the dash for something about center lock? Does that indicate anything?

Cameraphone pic:

Picture002.jpg

A FJ80 (91-92) will seem very underpowered to most. However, the 3FE engine will last a LONG time -- 145k miles is nothing.

If you're going to modify it for off-road, you might consider waiting for a nice 93-97 model with OEM DIFF LOCKS (see pic in previous post for common indicator of diff locks being present).

You don't want an "OEM" roof rack. If you want to haul stuff up there, get an aftermarket rack.

Most of the answers to your questions can be found in the newbie guide at www.sleeoffroad.com and in the FAQ thread in this forum.

CodyRx7 said:
I didnt get a good look at the left side of the steering wheel.

I did notice a knob in the middle of the dash for something about center lock? Does that indicate anything?

Cody-
The button you speak of isn't the same as Front and Rear Lockers. That is the Center Diff Lock. Search and you will find more than enough to keep you busy for a while.

Also, unless added by a p.o. a 91 didn't have front and rear lockers as an option. Hence the reason you didn't see the switch.

Welcome and enjoy your search!

CodyRx7 said:
- Is there any extremely sought after US model?

There is, in fact, a highly sought have US model.

They look exactly like this. :D

RossgetstodrivetheCruiser.jpg

-B-

Ok, so I should be looking for a 93 or newer with the locking differentials.

Some more questions -

If the 3FE has no problem with the 145k mileage - does that mean the later model engines DO have a problem with high miles?

The LX450 - I've read that it was only out for 96-97. Do any of these models have the locking diffs, or are they just like a "base model" with some bling?

I was originally looking for a 2000-2001 100 series, so I'm comprimising with the woman that if I have to shop for an 80, I want to get the most capable I can find.

So the purposes for getting one are the room for kids when needed (we have 2, and once the Accord sedan is sold to her brother, we're left with 2 Mazda Rx7s and a Miata - which are all 2 seaters. I want to be able to tow a small trailer for my ATVs, and from the pics Ive seen of an 80 pulling a Durango or a Bobcat, my ATVs are about 1/5th that weight.

The 4x4 capability isn't an absolute must, but I live next door to Sedona, AZ - lots to explore. I've also always been one-upping my friend with toys, and he has a 93 Grand Cherokee with a 6" lift and 33"s that I can't compete with - with a MIATA...lol.

The later engine wont have a problem either, they are both built like a brick. Its more of a question of which one will last 1,000,000 miles... then the 3FE might have a small advantage.

If you dont do much 4x4ing then you might not need the lockers. If you have the lockers the 80 will outperform a 100 series hands down... so then you wouldn't have to buy a 100 in the end anyways.

Even without the lockers an 80 will outperform a Grand Cherokee no problem, nor do you have to lift an 80 6" to put on 33s, most people with 6" lift on an 80 put on 37s.

The LX450 is more rare with lockers than even the 80, but there are a few out there. Most of the LX450s differences involve bling of some kind.

If I happen to find an 80 without lockers, is this something that I can swap in from another truck, say, if I find one in a junkyard - or find the parts on ebay?

Yes, it is possible, and some have done it, but it is a major PITA and will cost a pile. If you want lockers, get them when you buy the truck, do it right the first time.

CodyRx7 said:
If I happen to find an 80 without lockers, is this something that I can swap in from another truck, say, if I find one in a junkyard - or find the parts on ebay?

There are a couple of guys who have bought a wrecked 80 with lockers and transplanted the axles. From looking it isn't that hard of a deal. Search for a write up by Boston Mangler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom