'Abandoned' 1969 TLC Baja rig. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my question becomes, why do a body swap? Is there something wrong with the drivetrain in the new rig? Chevy, correct? Same as the original rig you got?

I’m going to just make the suggestion to take the good stuff from the original rig and put it in this rig and go with it. Put the 69 aside for a resto, or just sell it.

So my question becomes, why do a body swap? Is there something wrong with the drivetrain in the new rig? Chevy, correct? Same as the original rig you got?

I’m going to just make the suggestion to take the good stuff from the original rig and put it in this rig and go with it. Put the 69 aside for a resto, or just sell it.
That’s something I considered, but the 69 was a TLC build that only has 2k miles on the drivetrain, and all parts on it are nearly brand new, including axles, etc. but the body shot from salt so I’d end up swapping everything but the frame anyway, and having to fab new mounts for everything on the 72 cuz the trans / PS, etc is diff. My thought was to pull the body off the 72, and do a full “frame off” strip / seal / paint on the underside alongside the exterior + interior paint, upgrade the front suspension on the TLC drivetrain to coil while the body is off, repaint that, clean everything up then re-assemble as a proper resto mod, then sell the Baja body with the 72 chassis/drivetrain as a cheap project for someone to take over.

It’s basically me trying to keep the “provenance” of their build and just short cutting all the body work.

Anyone have any recommendations for a shop to either swap the drivetrain or do a body swap? Either way I’d like to get the body fully blasted/painted up and the drivetrain freshened up so taking the body off to do the swap makes sense to me. Problem is I don’t have a garage large enough to do the work, and can’t drive into my back yard so building a gantry crane and doing it myself isn’t an option. I’ve gotten a few leads to some hot rod and off road shops locally but wanted to check here and see if anyone had places they would recommend taking these to. I’m in Pasadena Ca but I’d be willing to take them within a few hundred miles to the right shop. Mexico included. Any suggestions?

I would consider Stockton, Ca. & speaking with Georg @orangefj45 Valley Hybrids.

Last edited:
Not exactly an update on the rigs, but more of a life update. I have been prepping land in Joshua Tree for the past couple years that im building my next house on. Been working with neighboring parcel owners to bring a road and utilities up to the land we own. I was anticipating it not starting for a couple more years but we were able to push through things much quicker than we planned and are going to start this year.

Which means I’m going to be offloading both pigs and putting the money and time towards the house. I will be making a proper for sale thread in the next couple days and probably posting outside the forum a week or so later, but if anyone here has any interest, please reach out directly. Buy both and I will definitely be open to striking a good deal. This is a great start to a high dollar restomod if you’re looking to build one.

Let me know if you need a surveyor. Maybe some horse trading? It would depend on if the :princess: would let me haha.

Best wishes with the upcoming house build. I have no idea what it takes to build a house in a desert area.
It’s probably the easiest place to do so, it’s just the fact of being in Ca that makes it more work. The good thing is the property is within a city limit so I don’t have to deal with San Bernardino County which is a huge nightmare.

Not exactly an update on the rigs, but more of a life update. I have been prepping land in Joshua Tree for the past couple years that im building my next house on. Been working with neighboring parcel owners to bring a road and utilities up to the land we own. I was anticipating it not starting for a couple more years but we were able to push through things much quicker than we planned and are going to start this year.

Which means I’m going to be offloading both pigs and putting the money and time towards the house. I will be making a proper for sale thread in the next couple days and probably posting outside the forum a week or so later, but if anyone here has any interest, please reach out directly. Buy both and I will definitely be open to striking a good deal. This is a great start to a high dollar restomod if you’re looking to build one.
Wow, congratulations!
Building a home at/near Joshua Tree sounds pretty awesome!
Be sure to link to your FS ads when you post them.
GLWS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom