A442F Hydro 3rd-4th Shifting Adjustments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 91HDJ81 and one of the first things I did was installing the Nomad valve body as I was planning on running a GTurbo. I don't have experience driving a stock A442F to compare but I have noticed many people drive in D all the time. That does not work well as it's the overdrive. I drive in 3rd until i"m on the highway and then upshift.
The valvebody is easy to install and comes with instructions. A tranny shop shouldn't charge you more then a few hours as it's all done with tranny on the truck. The price does not include shipping to Canada and shipping your old valvebody back to them as they want the core. 1Aus$ is 0.88Canadian$ so your $6000 estimate will end up more like $3000 if a shop does it and cheaper if you do it. Valve body AUs$1200 = C$1054 right now.

I’ve been told the nomad is not as harsh shifting as the extreme. Well worth it :) as a mild upgrade!!!

I put the extreme vb (and had torque converter) in after 6-7 years of driving with the stock. It is pretty harsh and noticeable difference, but the solid feeling is worth it.

I just wish it was cheaper. Damn the fact the trans is uncommon.

I can get a top quality valve body for my lightning doe a few hundred.

So I lost 2-3rd. And in my transmission rebuild write up I needed a planetary gear and a clutch pack holder that was machined by wholesale automatics to hold extra clutches. Well worth it.

Anyone know a way to delay the premature 3rd-4th gear upshift under moderate acceleration? It's annoying to constantly manually downshift into 3rd. Haven't seen a solution on here.
Thanks
You have only one adjustment on your transmission

2591B6B4-776B-4DC5-BD7B-22C51A0F83FA.jpeg

You have only one adjustment on your transmission

View attachment 3071175
Thanks. What toyota service manual is this in? Not in the transmission or engine ones that I could find. Also a translation would help. Seems self-explanatory but...

Thanks. What toyota service manual is this in? Not in the transmission or engine ones that I could find. Also a translation would help. Seems self-explanatory but...
99DB67C0-1049-4777-9E42-878CDA97D0B0.jpeg

if you have sticky cables you can use a cable lube tool usually found at motorcycle shops

the manual was from Toyota FSM RM315E

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom