a newfound vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was finally able to install my new/used springs this weekend :D (thanks theferg for the springs) now i have got this vibration that comes on about 30mph and either goes away or is not as noticeable around 60mph. it only seems to do it when the drivetrain is in gear it will go away when i put it in neutral and coast. my thoughts are that when i lifed it the 2 or 3 inches it changed my driveline angle and my ujoint may be bad. have anyone else experinced this with a lift kit? can someone point me in the right direction? any thoughts would help thanks.

Yep this happened to me on my 40. pull the shafts and check your u-joints. Shaking them on the truck isn't good enough.

has anyone had to wedge your rear axle for the driveline angle on a 3 inch lift? sound kind of dramatic for such a small lift? or do you think new ujoints would do it? thanks again

u-joints, the extra angle now that its lifted will cause a U-joint that is so so before the lift to cuase a vibration after a lift. No you don't need rear axle shims.

Pimp's got it. Thats what happened to me. Replace the bad one, and make sure the others are greased well.

i will order the ujoints and install them thanks for all of the help. :D

If I were you I'd find a driveshaft shop and have them do it. They have a press for it and they don't charge much at all, they are a bitch to do with the hammer and socket method, and I've bent the crosses doing it with my vise at home.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=5281;start=msg41492#msg41492 date=1063661841]
If I were you I'd find a driveshaft shop and have them do it. They have a press for it and they don't charge much at all, they are a bitch to do with the hammer and socket method, and I've bent the crosses doing it with my vise at home.
[/quote]

my thumb would agree with you! ::) I have only had one set give me any greif(fj60) the rest have come apart very easily, with a hamer and socker or vice and socket

driveline shop IS a good idea and they dont charge much, but I think it's something that everyone should do themselfs once, someday one will go out and a driveline shop might not be an option.

John H

Pimp's right, but try to make that once on u-joints that aren't 30 yr old originals! (I've got 3 ruined sockets and a severly dented shop table to show how much fawking banging it takes to get them out!) :D
If you're going to do them yourself, and haven't ever before, follow this:http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ujoint_install/
Use OEM or Spicer u-joints, nothing less. The ones napa sells are 8 out of 10 times OEM toyota.

i think that i will install the ujoints myself, i have access to a press and a shop, oh and if it gets too bad i can always use the smoke wrench right? :-\ thanks again :D

If the Universal Joints are only slighly noticible worn, A short term fix is to pump them through with Moly Grease(Containing 3% Molybdenum Disulified). ;) :)

just an update i got the ujoints yesterday and installed them last night. they did not seem bad although i had to cut one out. but as i was installing them i noticed that my driveline was out of phase the po must have had it off for somthing. but anyway someting fixed it, whether it was the joints or the out of phase driveline or both who knows?, just thought i would update all of you that helped thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom