A Cruiser named Crusty **NSFL** (1 Viewer)

How to proceed with crusty’s frame?

• Buy a welder and learn how to DIY

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Hire the welders I’ve received a quote from

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Frame swap

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Seriously why are you so indecisive?

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D21FJ60

#LiveLaughLove.
Threads
Where to begin.

Thanks to 'mud, I have been able to connect with like minded enthusiasts the country and world over and learn a lot.
One thing I have not learned yet is that rust is bad.

So, this story begins with @John Young purchasing a 2000 100 series from Pennsylvania, while he was a world away- initial post here.
Two years ago, I strike up a conversation with him to see if maybe I could get crusty and id look into having it fixed. John was wary (and rightfully so) because all the estimates and insight he received indicated crusty was a lost cause, which resulted in him taking the interior for his other 100 series.
Time transpired, I purchased a different cruiser, crusty sat forlorn and neglected.
In the mean time, we've kept in touch and ive followed his cruiser chronicles and insight, while always having crusty in the back of my mind.

Time came where crusty overstayed its welcome and was given an eviction notice, which I answered.
This past Saturday I went over to John's and we loaded all the interior pieces into crusty, dropped a new battery in, and went to fire crusty up.

No luck.

No big deal, right? We can put it in neutral and roll it.

Que ruptured brake line and a rolling cruiser, which we discovered mid roll that hte parking brake really wasn't serving much purpose anymore.
Thankfully, we stuck a piece of wood underneath and crusty ceased just yards from a busy road in Arlington, VA.

AAA didn't get a truck out for about 4 hours, at which point I had already headed home.
11:15pm and crusty arrives, being towed with the front wheels on the ground (thank goodness I stuck the transfer case in neutral).
The driver executed a magnificent 17 point turn in my back work area (im a hit with the neighbors) to drop crusty in an ideal location.

My wife is over the moon that I have a non starting, non stopping, stripped interior cruiser to compliment my saggy, rusty but running and stopping beat up interior cruiser.

Now on to pictures:

A solid 10 foot truck:

BE978AE5-F689-4475-AAB3-00BD46060F77.jpeg

Best color combo:

4721FCDF-2EC9-4903-BF58-7F0C2F526038.jpeg

Now comes the easy part:

5AF0332F-B28D-45DC-816D-921718510B36.jpeg

I contacted the outfit that came and repaired the crossmember on my silver cruiser, and while their work wouldn't qualify as showroom looks, price wise and quality of work I feel is acceptable enough. Their quote for repair is about what I thought it would be and is budget friendly enough i'd consider proceeding with them.
They wire wheel, weld and spray with rust preventative.

Thoughts going forward:

-Address the no start issue- I picked up a bottle of Heet and seafoam, which ill add with a few gallons of gas as John indicated he hadn't started it in 3-6 months but it "started and ran last time I did" (He could be a great used car salesman :rofl:).
If this cheap and easy fix doesn't do it, i've already began researching the no start threads here and will go after the EFI relay and fuse.

-Reassemble the interior to see what I am missing and how well I can do something like that.

-Address ruptured brake line and any other lines.

Then after all this I would have the frame repaired.

It has 187,xxx on the engine and trans, as opposed to my silver truck that has 303,xxx. I am inclined to keep it initially to see if it would serve as a suitable family car.

Other thoughts:
-Swap all remaining clean parts and junk it (don't like this option and don't have the means to pull an engine and trans).

Crusty's odyssey will be documented here. John is not optimistic.

I have an appointment with the DMV on November 15th to transfer the title. That gives me a month of looking at it to figure things out.
And a month for my wife to nag me.

Last edited:
I want to make clear that I did not sell Crusty to William. I gave Crusty to William. I would not sell a truck in this condition to anyone. The driveline ran great when I last moved it in April 2021. The damn thing just did not want to leave the side of my house! First it wouldn't start for the first time since I acquired it, then the brake line burst.

If William manages to revive poor Crusty, god bless. At least Crusty should provide some parts for Williams' other 100.

I want to make clear that I did not sell Crusty to William. I gave Crusty to William. I would not sell a truck in this condition to anyone.
Absolving himself from liability.

The fact is didn't cost anything besides a battery may have factored into my rescuing (sic) it.

I would say the no start and ruptured line is akin to the story of the monkeys paw before it goes to a new owner.

If someone in CT is that scared by my plight, I know it's bad.
Hahahaha amen brother! I sold one that probably would have been there in a couple years. It was just such a headache. Bought and LX from Texas and had it oil coated recently. That rust is no joke up here.

udpdate: poured in the Heet and seafoam and about 2 gallons of premium gas. Still didnt start, but I also didnt let it sit very long so maybe the heet and all didn't have enough time to ferment.

Checked EFI fuse and relay and they both looked fine and the connections were not melted or damaged.

I will say the interior has been taken out around the gear shifter so there are multiple pigtails disconnected in that area, I wonder if that is an issue. The immobilizer blinking light turns off when I put the key in so I have ruled that out.

god speed. this will def cement yourself as a cruiser wrencher
I've gotten my hands dirty a little with my other truck and over the years worked on my fathers FJ60- that was the truck that got me into Cruisers.
I can likely do everything aside the frame repair.

It previously ran and started and I drove it around with the center console out. I think those pigtails are for the seat heaters. I'd put my money on the fuel pump.

It previously ran and started and I drove it around with the center console out. I think those pigtails are for the seat heaters. I'd put my money on the fuel pump.
Thanks John, i was meaning to ask you this. It sounded like the fuel pump was humming but ill try again maybe with a second set of ears.

so it just spins over but won't fire?
Yep. After sitting for 2 months.
Fresh battery installed. No indication of even slightest firing.
Previously ran smoothly. 175k miles on the clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom