a/c use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
OK OK, so I don't need my a/c very much up here but it got warm this weekend so I ran it sustained for the first time. A couple of new to me 80 symptoms showed up that may be coincidental or maybe related to warm weather generally.

1. The coolant level moved from near the full line to near the add line on my radiator overflow tank. This level hasn't moved in two or three months even on long drives.

2. I got water dripping steady from the inlet pipes leading from the engine to the cats. It looks like it starts where the heat sleeves start. I collected some. It was clear slightly warm water and definitely no coolant. I am guessing a little less than half a cup total. It hasn't rained here in a week or more so I'm just wondering where it could come from?

I have seen water leak out the tailpipe before which I assume is condensation, but seeing a new drip in a new place in conjunction with the coolant drop makes me paranoid.

Simon,

Condensation from the evaporator. Normal. In fact worry if you don't see it. That would mean that the evaporator drain is plugged up. :ugh: The drain exits the toe panel above the cats. It sounds like your cooling system finally got hot enough to draw in coolant as it cooled. It is normal for the "hot" level to be higher than the "cold" level. Where is the coolant level with a "cold" engine now?

Dan.

Semlin,

>> I got water dripping steady from the inlet pipes <<

Some of us live in areas with single digit humidity. In those areas there isn't as much condensation from the A/C but there can (and will) be copious amounts in areas with high humidity... Houston comes to mind. Yuch.
-B-

yep.anytime i use the a/c mine "pees" a big ole wetspot!! :D

doug

Yeah, when it's hot outside, both my dog and LC leave big wet spots where ever they sit for long.

thanks guys, I feel like a complete a/c neophyte

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom