A/C isn't cold anymore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My A/C system seems worn out or something, doesn't get as cold as it used to. Friend of mine says it needs to be reconditioned, but that's a $400 job. What other options do I have, or what can I do to fix it myself?

Might just need a simple "Recharge" which is fairly cheap, i think my 91 FJ80 costs like $70 to get charges with freon or whatever its called now. Most good mechanics can test it!

alkaline747trio said:
My A/C system seems worn out or something, doesn't get as cold as it used to. Friend of mine says it needs to be reconditioned, but that's a $400 job. What other options do I have, or what can I do to fix it myself?

What year?

1992, do you think a recharge might be the ticket? I will find out for sure, thanks for the help..keep it up though, aka if recharge isn't enough, do what?

Problem is to find out the problem they have to "recharge" the system...then find out where it leaks from using a black light to see the dye in the R-12 they just put in your system. That you just paid $70 for...to watch it leak out.

You could convert to R-134a yourself and see how long it will last. This would be cheaper and you could do it yourself. They sell the kits at Wally World.

alkaline747trio said:
How much are the kits, and how much would it cost to get r-134a put in it?

walmart.com...or drive to walmart (it can't be THAT hot) and walk to the auto area...and look.... :idea:

they have the R-134a in several brands....

No I don't know how much...it should say under where the item is sitting on the shelf! :D

I switched to 134 and wasn't happy with it. Wasn't cold enough for me. I bought a new dryer and switched over to freeze 12. It's compatable with R12 and a lot colder than the 134. It costs about the same as 134 also. No matter what, If it is fully drained, I would replace all the O-rings in the system. It is really easy to do and cheaper than filling it then finding out it is still leaking.

See the link below:

http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=FindAKit
Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total
CP3008 ASIAN IMPORT O-RING KIT 1986-2004 $6.59 $6.59
37-13907 RECEIVER DRIER $19.80 $19.80

More Info:
http://freeze-12.com/f-12conversiondata.htm

Greg
91 FJ80
OME heavy/med lift, Slee Brake Lines, Vorfab 2" front spring spacers, 35 x 12.5" elcheapo tires

Trailbus said:
I switched to 134 and wasn't happy with it. Wasn't cold enough for me.

I was told the old R12 was colder and it sures as hell feels it to me!

Check for low and high gauge pressure if more 35-45 psi it is o.k. otherwise clean condenser and replace dryer and refil R134a before spending alot of money

alkaline747trio said:

When was the last time you had you air con cleaned. Our practice is to clean it every year or every other year lest it lose it's cool.

Kalawang

Ac

I replaced my expansion valve and drier in my 93 and it went from blowing warm to blowing frigid in my 93, its an easy do it yourself 1-1/2 job if you have all the tools to do it.

Ok, took to the mechanic today..says the compressor needs to be rebuild and will be a $500 job? Anything else I can look for that might read as a compressor problem, or can I do this myself and not screw anything up?

Being a 3FE owner, I don't know much about your engine. Off the cuff I think I would look to ee if one from a newer Cruiser would work for you. Maybe one that's already set up for 134.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom