'98 LC100 Drivetrain Vibration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is no one awake at 2:00AM PST?

I don't know if this matters yet and it is 2 in the flippn morning, but after searching etc, I may have found my noise problem, but please chime in if someone else has an idea.

It seems that some people point to the vibration dampener, or lack of as a possible problem. My 1998 LC had it, and I yanked it off when removing the side steps. I didn't notice the difference, but I did not know what it was when I took it off.

I looked under the 2003 LC and it is also missing, never installed, or is located in a different spot on 2003. It's late, so off to bed.

I also read about exhaust booming. Could this be the same and would it still be covered beyond the 60K warranty because it is a known TSB?

It is just the most annoying droning. It seems to get louder the slower you go. Just the opposite of what noise is supposed to do.

Help!

Put the dampener on/back on and see what affect it has...

Ok, I found the dampener that I removed from my '98 LC and put in on my wife's '03 and I really couldn't tell much difference. I will have to drive it more to have a definitive answer.

I am beginning to suspect the AC though. I think there is a TSB for that too. The low frequency resonance or droning, does seem to go away when the AC is off. Very tuff to describe, but it seems to actually build the longer you drive at slow speeds or low engine loads. In essence, when you think the LC should be whisper quite there is a low frequency that just kind of builds and builds. Weird.

Last edited:
So I took the LC in today and got them to check the drive shafts and they came back to me said that one drive shaft was 1 spline out on the slip joint that that one u-joint wasn't seated right on the other drive shaft. They said that they drove it and there was no vibration. Well, I was skeptical and once I drove it, I wondered if they had worked on my vehicle at all because the vibration was still there, exactly like it was before I brought it in. :crybaby:

Next, we wait for those steering knuckle needle bearings from CruiserDan. Oh, well...guess I get to work on the Jeep this week.

Greg

Another stupid question but are the driveshaft u-joints in phase. I know you pulled the front but what about the rear, that will cause a vibration.

The fan blades seem in good shape but i'll check them tomorrow.
The drive shaft u-joints are in phase as they balanced both of them today and identified that one was out of phase by 1 spline. This made no difference.

At this point, we are going to have to take the Land Cruiser out of service for a few days to remove the diffs and see if there are any problems there. We will still replace the steering knuckle needle bearings when they arrive.

Greg

Any news on this, Greg?

Looks like I'm looking in the same direction to find the source of the vibrations. I checked the splines on the front propeller shaft, it was fine, perfect. The rear one looks good because ther is a small amount of grease coming out, and no pressure, so it can't be stuck.
Going to look into the state of the front drive shaft bearings and steering knuckles.

But what about the bearings at the inward end of the driveshafts, in the diff and on the extension pipe. Could they be the cause of the vibrations if they are worn? Looks like the two sides are a bit different, but looks like the bearing is running in diff oil anyway, so maybe less likely to be worn?

Did anybody change any of these bearings to get rid of vibrations? Or find them worn in any way?

Last edited:
bump!

Our next step is to go to the diffs, especially because of the filings that we found when we initially drained the fluid in the front diff. I've made a deal on a front diff, rear third member and t-case from a 2000 LX470 and hope to get them shipped here by Friday. That will allow us to make sure that they are in good shape and then just change both diffs out at the same time. We'll change out the steering knuckle needle bearings while we are at it. Over the last few days, I've hauled my trailer and the noise has gotten worse suggesting rear diff problems as well. It's also started to change when there is power applied and released, suggesting pinion problems. We'll change it all out and then do a post-mortem on the removed parts.

We are probably looking at another couple of weeks before I can get to this as we just got about 5" of snow and it's supposed to keep snowing until Wednesday. Add to that we are looking to pick up a '49 Willys 4x4 1-ton truck sometime this week that we are hoping to use the body on a '79 Jeep J20 that's rusted out. Could be fun...could be a nightmare.

I'll keep everyone posted on the thread.

Greg

I've struck a deal with the modsquad on the front diff, t-case and rear third member and axles among other little odds and ends. I've already paid him and am just waiting for him to disassemble and pack the parts onto a pallet for shipment here to Edmonton. Unfortunately, the parts vehicle is outside and they seem to be getting the winter storm that we got last week so we are hoping that he has the stuff ready for shipment by Monday which means I would get them by Thursday or Friday.

At least I have some more time as the Willys deal fell through...I'd rather find an old 60's Dodge Crew Cab 4x4, if anyone knows of one around. I'd come down to get it if i found one.

I'll keep you guys all posted once the parts arrive.

Greg

Well I finally got the parts from Winnipeg and we took apart the front 2000 four pinion differential. We took it down to the spider gears and everything looked fine except for one thing. When we took off the axle tube on the drivers side, the side gear shaft bearing was hooched and probably caused the previous owner the same vibrations noises that I've experienced...but we won't know for sure until we switch in the new diff and postmortem the original one.

I'm going to be ordering the new front side gear shaft bearing, snap ring and oil seal. We'll change that as well as the steering knuckle needle bearings and if that doesn't work, I'll trade it in and go get another Land Cruiser in better shape.

I'll keep you all posted because it may be a week or so before I can get to it.

Greg

Bump for resurrection.

I am experiencing the same issues.

Balanced tires 4 times.

Replaced 2 sets of CV shafts.

Checked and readjusted front bearings.

Replaced rear u joints (which helped minimally).

Removed front shaft.

3 new tires.

Starting to get really frustrated with this and electrical gremlins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom