97 Tacoma Clutch Noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I release the clutch pedal it whistles/squeals especially when cold. Does anyone have any idea?

Would it be worth replacing the clutch when the tranny was dropped; it has 165,000 miles - I don't know if it is the originally or not but I haven't noticed it slipping?

Would it be worth replacing the clutch when the tranny was dropped; it has 165,000 miles - I don't know if it is the originally or not but I haven't noticed it slipping?

Depends on if you're ok with pulling it back out in x amount of miles again...I've know two people who have over 200,000 miles on their original taco clutches, with no signs of slipping yet.

Sounds like a throwout bearing going out....Fix would require dropping the trans and replacing it.

X2 on the throwout/release bearing may be the noise source. Does the noise vary with a slight pressure on the clutch pedal as compared to when it is released fully?
I would check if you have the correct freeplay first before you go in too deep.
As far as replacing the clutch... labor/time is the big thing. If I have to go into a clutch then I would certainly look at everything to prevent having to go back in any time soon. Checking the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, release/throwout bearing and lever&retainer. Replace & service items as needed.
I would be tempted to let a release bearing go quite a while before I want to spend the time/cash to get in there.
that's my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom