96 fj80 wheels -plastic center cap peeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The plastic center caps on the wheels of my 96 FJ80 have shed their original paint. When i was looking at FJ80s i noticed this seemed to happen with all of them. I spoke with someone this weekend that said he saw a thread posted here with the color of spray paint to use to make them look new again. Anyone know?

Much appreciate any suggestions on if to paint (and how) or if i should just buy some somwhere.

Thanks -

Welcome to the board coop.

Regarding the color... Center Caps are lame. Toss 'em.

Hi Cooper!

We've discussed this recently. Do a search on "Center Cap" or "Paint Cap" (all words.)

Let us know if you can't find it and welcome to the 80 section!
-B-

Best thing to do is toss them into the bin in front of another 80 owner. Go back and look everyday. If after 9 days they are still there, then take them back clean them and paint them. Before you put them back on though - repeat the above process only instead of waiting 9 days, wait 8. If still there, then put 'em back on your truck in front of a big male doggie.

What will this do? Uh, not much. :D I have like 20 center caps, some banged up, some have been given to other cruiserheads, but out of the 20 I have in the garage, I can't find a single one. :eek: :dunno: :slap: :D

Junk,

Why do you have so many center caps? 20 is a bit excessive, no?

Junk,

Why do you have so many center caps?  20 is a bit excessive, no?
I just keep collecting them. Every time I get a freebie I just throw it as far into the garage as it will go :D

My garage is a little out of control :tear: can hardly even fit a new hi-lift. :dunno:

I see...

I have the original four. They are currently sitting in the cargo area after I had to re-intall them so it could be all pretty for the high school prom here. Some kids borrowed the beast in exchange for a full tank of gas. Not a bad deal...

Thanks for the help on this. In the end its a super easy fix for anyone else that might be interested. I just found the first can of silver colored paint at the local auto shop (i could not find the specific numbers that were mentioned in earlier strings) and got lucky in that it was the exact color. I cleaned each cap well before painting them and they look like new.

>> and they look like new. <<

For now anyway. Mine looked good a year ago, now they look like they did before.

David's "bulldog" idea better work. We haven't got a painting party together yet. One of us will post the results later.
-B-

Agree. However, for a total investment of 20 minutes I can probably do this annually!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom