95 Series Front Exterior Door Handle Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasPrado95

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone have any experience with removing the front exterior door handles without damage? Thank you for any help and advice!

The pivot rod from the door handle seems to be semi-permanently attached to the metal door lock actuator lever. Below are some pics, including the Haynes guide. The spot circled in red is where the handle's pivot rod connects to the actuator lever, but I can't get them separated. It doesn't seem like there is any retaining clip, but I'm also afraid to pull too hard and bend/break the actuator.

Pic 1: front left door handle from inside the door pocket. The actuator lever is much more firmly attached, with a snug, round mounting, compared to the plastic U-shaped lever of the rear door handless.
Pic 2: rear door handle - notice that the *plastic* lever on the rear handle is connected to the handle. It separated very easily since the lever has a U shape clip at the bottom (circled in green).
Pic 3+4: Haynes manual

I found one video of an Australian on youtube trying to explain it, but the actuator lever on his Prado on the front door also appears to be plastic and a bit flexible. Whereas mine is metal and won't budge. He was able to get the old handle much further out of the hole than I can on mine, then clipping back some of the plastic and "hopes that won't bite him later." He didn't include the install in the video, so we will never know. I also tried watching videos on the 3rd Gen 4runner, like this one, but the handle appears to be a different part all together.
IMG_9831.jpeg

IMG_9832.jpeg

IMG_9833.jpeg
IMG_9834.jpeg

I'm beginning to think that this is a Frankenstein repair of a previous owner. I'll know for sure when I open up the drivers door this weekend. I've since moved on to other parts of the car in the interest of feeling like progress is being made lol

Both the driver and passenger door are the same. This is literally the last thing I need to do before sending her to the paint shop. Please help :)

After about $100 in purchasing different tools, I finally got the handle loose from the actuator lever with the help of the trim removal tool circled in red! Last step and she's going for paint in 11 days :)

IMG_1124.jpeg

69809832108__C42B701D-D38D-4AF0-8087-72C18F71C1BD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom