94 22re in a 85? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how interchangeable a 22re from a 94 2wd truck is with a 85 4runner?

Should be a simple swap.. Might have to check with some of the electronics see if there compatable. Dont think you'd have to modify the motor mounts etc.

Bolt in. But I think you will want to use the ECU from the newer vehicle. Assuming the 85 was fuel injected, as some of them were still carb?

calamaridog said:
Bolt in. But I think you will want to use the ECU from the newer vehicle. Assuming the 85 was fuel injected, as some of them were still carb?

Not the way I'd go about it. Swapping the ECU/injectors/harness seems overly complicated, and frankly, wires will have to be re-routed.

I'd use the newer engine including intake manifold, with the older injectors and harness. This will give the better throttle body and intake and otherwise be a bolt-in. A newer throttle cable will be needed as well.

You are right, my suggestion would be more work. As long as the 85 is a 22re and not a 22r they you should just use the newer longblock.

I've seen a decent number of 22r's in the 85's which surprises me:confused:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll check out the motor if it's still for sale. Mine has 220k miles on it and it's getting pretty noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom