'92 LJ78 - Repair/Maintain/Improve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not, just the output on my head unit for now. I never gave much consideration to the factory system. All the speakers were shot and the OEM deck was gone.

You use the plural form, are there two amps? I know of the one in the back, I assume is for the rear door

so if you unplug the amp the radio still works? My radio is not working someone said it could be the amps, but yours is working without the amps so icould rule that out.
yea there are two amps in the back on my truck.

so if you unplug the amp the radio still works? My radio is not working someone said it could be the amps, but yours is working without the amps so icould rule that out.
yea there are two amps in the back on my truck.
I've heard of people jumpering past the amplifiers and just using the head unit to drive the speakers, but I don't think any of them were using the factory head unit. I just don't think it has the power. If you do manage to figure out the connector pinout to allow you to do that, please post it.

I mounted a cheap Pyle marine amp in the old amp location. It was a bit of a squeeze but it's been working well for over a year.
874AE860-163E-4DE5-A278-DFF8AC73B820_1_105_c.jpeg

Due to life's responsibilities, I haven't done much to the Prado lately other than drive it.

Got around to installing my pyrometer this weekend. I put the probe post turbo, pulling things apart to find a spot on the manifold wasn't something I wanted to take on right now.
20210718_141512.jpg

This and my boost gauge are just roughed in for the moment. Eventually I'll splurge on a used altimeter/thermometer housing to hold them.
20210718_141605.jpg

Next on the list is a water/air intercooler. Going with a kit from frozen boost. The prices seem decent and I can't much negative feedback about their stuff.

Due to life's responsibilities, I haven't done much to the Prado lately other than drive it.

Got around to installing my pyrometer this weekend. I put the probe post turbo, pulling things apart to find a spot on the manifold wasn't something I wanted to take on right now. View attachment 2734653

This and my boost gauge are just roughed in for the moment. Eventually I'll splurge on a used altimeter/thermometer housing to hold them.View attachment 2734654

Next on the list is a water/air intercooler. Going with a kit from frozen boost. The prices seem decent and I can't much negative feedback about their stuff.

Nice work! Glad to hear you're driving the truck regularily. I'm curious, how do your EGT's look under load? I seem to recall mine hitting 1200 post turbo fairly easily when it was completely stock.

Intercooler is a game changer for these motors. It drops the EGT's soooo much. Bit more boost and fuel and the truck has so much more power still with lower than OEM EGT levels. Makes it way more drivable.

Nice work! Glad to hear you're driving the truck regularily. I'm curious, how do your EGT's look under load? I seem to recall mine hitting 1200 post turbo fairly easily when it was completely stock.

Intercooler is a game changer for these motors. It drops the EGT's soooo much. Bit more boost and fuel and the truck has so much more power still with lower than OEM EGT levels. Makes it way more drivable.

So far I haven't seen it get hotter than 900. But my driving habits don't make the truck work all that hard. I'll keep an eye on it next time I venture into the city. My truck is not entirely stock. My exhaust was upgraded by the PO. Although I'm not sure if that's going to effect temps much. Rather just manage them better.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in performance. And the peace of mind in knowing EGTs are lower.

So far I haven't seen it get hotter than 900. But my driving habits don't make the truck work all that hard. I'll keep an eye on it next time I venture into the city. My truck is not entirely stock. My exhaust was upgraded by the PO. Although I'm not sure if that's going to effect temps much. Rather just manage them better.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in performance. And the peace of mind in knowing EGTs are lower.

2.5" Exhaust dropped my EGT's around 100-200F if I remember correct. So that will definitely be helping you.

We're having a VI Cruiser's meet Thursday July 22 7pm at the 6 mile Pub if you can make it. Just BS over dinner/beer session. Nothing formal. Would be great to have you if you can make it. July Pub Meet - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/july-pub-meet.1258012/

Got most of my intercooler setup in the mail today...
20210728_183148.jpg

Unfortunately they were out of 7" fans so I had them sub with a 10". Hopefully I can make it work. Although two smaller fans side by side would be nice.

Mounting hardware and water line are easy enough to acquire locally. The air piping I'm still figuring out. My initial plan was to try wire reinforced silicone hose.
20210728_190414.jpg

While the do seem pretty tough and can bend without kinking, I won't be using them. Too much shape memory. I picture the connections under constant tension with the hoses wanting to return to straight.

Will pick up on this project over the weekend, more to come.

Cheers

Had to put the intercooler on hiatus for a bit, to prioritize some work responsibilities and enjoy the last of summer. Now that fall is here I'm looking forward to working on the truck, even if it is in the rain.

First little project couldn't be put off, my starter died this weekend. It failed once in the city on Saturday, then on Sunday wouldn't engage at all.

Decided to go for a rebuild at a local alternator/starter shop. One day turn around and already back on the road. Sure looks pretty, better last.
20211012_173157.jpg

New starter issue has me scratching my head. A couple days ago it seemed the starter wasn't cranking as fast. This quickly turned into very slow to not cranking at all.

Initially I figured the starter shop did a poor job on the rebuild. Pulled it off and brought it back to them. They opened it and can't find anything wrong. Ran great on the bench test.

Wiring and ground were tight when taking it off the truck. Thinking of making a jumper to battery in case it's the power supply.

New starter issue has me scratching my head. A couple days ago it seemed the starter wasn't cranking as fast. This quickly turned into very slow to not cranking at all.

Initially I figured the starter shop did a poor job on the rebuild. Pulled it off and brought it back to them. They opened it and can't find anything wrong. Ran great on the bench test.

Wiring and ground were tight when taking it off the truck. Thinking of making a jumper to battery in case it's the power supply.
Did you check your battery initally? Might be low.
Sometimes I tend to over look the easiest solution.

Did you check your battery initally? Might be low.
Sometimes I tend to over look the easiest solution.
I did check the battery, it's fully charged. I had it tested before the initial rebuild also and it checked out okay.

I've since ruled out my bad supply wire theory. With my meter leads clamped to either end I'm seeing the near short (0.2ohms) I would expect. Doesn't vary with flexing the cable.

I managed to get it to another shop for a second opinion. They bench tested it with a load and thought it sounded weak but looked to be fine. They're going to experiment tomorrow and get back to me.

Thanks, I'm aware. I had it load tested a few weeks back when the starter first quit.

Maybe get it tested again. Or you can simply measure the voltage on it while someone is trying to start your truck; if it really drops down then you know it's got issues. Or use jumper cables to another running vehicle's battery - if your truck starts fine; then you know it's the battery.

Maybe get it tested again. Or you can simply measure the voltage on it while someone is trying to start your truck; if it really drops down then you know it's got issues. Or use jumper cables to another running vehicle's battery - if your truck starts fine; then you know it's the battery.
I left it on the charger overnight and took it in for a load test this morning. It checked out okay.

The second shop I took the starter to put a new field case assembly on. Put it all back together just now and it's cranking faster than ever.

However, now my engine light is now on. Checked for codes and got 4 flashes. Water temperature sensor? Odd thing is my temperature gauge is working.

I left it on the charger overnight and took it in for a load test this morning. It checked out okay.

The second shop I took the starter to put a new field case assembly on. Put it all back together just now and it's cranking faster than ever.

However, now my engine light is now on. Checked for codes and got 4 flashes. Water temperature sensor? Odd thing is my temperature gauge is working.

There are at least three separate temp sensors. One for the ECU (under intake manifold), one for your gauge and one for your A/C (both in t-stat housing). The ECU only knows about the one under the intake manifold. I replaced mine at one point.

It's possible the wire got damaged while working the starter as they're pretty close. Having had my engine out before, I can say the wiring harnesses on these motors get super brittle with age and are really easy to damage.

There are at least three separate temp sensors. One for the ECU (under intake manifold), one for your gauge and one for your A/C (both in t-stat housing). The ECU only knows about the one under the intake manifold. I replaced mine at one point.

It's possible the wire got damaged while working the starter as they're pretty close. Having had my engine out before, I can say the wiring harnesses on these motors get super brittle with age and are really easy to damage.
I know the sensor you mean, just in front of the starter. I thought that fed my gauge.

Between the age of the wiring and the tightness of that area it wouldn't surprise me if something broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom