'92 LJ78 - Repair/Maintain/Improve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the interest of sharing more and participation beyond troubleshooting questions I think it's proper to start a build thread for my truck. Not to imply that it's going to be 'built' into anything exceptional, but there's definitely plenty to do.

The truck I bought at a Japanese auction through an exporter. Originally I was set on a 60 series, hoping to find one with half reasonable mileage that wasn't rusted out as they don't exist in such condition in Canada. After being exposed to some gorgeous 70 series auction listings my mind was quite changed. Here's a video of my truck done by the export agency post auction. They don't get into anything technical but it gives you an idea of what I'm working with.

My VIN plate, for the specifics:

20210314_112602.jpg

So far I've done the following

-Remove aftermarket push button start system
-Battery
-Tires
-Brake pads, rotors, calipers (front)
-Rear sway bar bushings
-Drag links
-Replace cracked aftermarket air cleaner with OEM
-Daytime running lights
-Headlights
-Oil/filter
-Fuel filter
-Coolant
-Crankshaft
-Crank pulley
-Water pump
-Timing belt/gear/idler/tensioner
-Timing cover (front)
-Manual glow plug system/new plugs

Full disclosure, I had a shop remove the pushbutton module. The thing failed the day I was going in for my import compliance inspection. The install was a hack job and the shop even brought in another client's Prado to figure out the wiring. Also, to elaborate on the crank replacement as its not exactly a small part. The internals were fine, but the crank pulley broke at the keyway and beat up everything in its path. As for switching to a manual glow system, I messed up the wiring when reinstalling the engine and grounded my factory set up. Probably could have fixed it for cheaper than the new set up but I have no complaints about using the push button. My apologies for the redundancy to those who followed my past threads.

My ownership of this vehicle has been off to a rocky start. I could probably do a few paragraphs of the little things that have gone wrong along the way. Some of them inevitable, some my own fault. I'll spare us all that. Looking forward to life going forward with this truck, grief aside.

Right now I'm still driving my beater. Since getting it going again my oil pressure gauge is on high even at operating temp. Planning on buying a proper gauge to test (and a permanent one eventually) and see how high it actually is. That won't be for a bit though, so in the meantime I'm working on cracking the pressure relief valve I neglected to check/service when I had the engine out. Lesson learned. Hopefully that, or one of the other relief valves, is the issue.

If you've read this far, stay tuned. More to come.

Cheers,

Curtis

Good work! Hope you're able to daily drive it soon and it runs reliably for you.

So much of the effort with these trucks is catching up on the poor work and decisions of past owners.

Got my new window switch yesterday. It's not OEM but certainly works.
20210405_175151.jpg

Also received my oil pressure tester today. My stock gauge was reading around high all the time.

According to the tester, at operating temp, I'm at 30psi idling and 85psi at 3000rpm. The manual specs for idling just say more than 4.3psi. At 3000rpm, 36-85psi.
I'm cautiously relieved, unless my idle pressure is something I should be worried about.

Replacing my front engine cover/timing case this weekend. Current one is a little beat up and should have been dealt with before. So oil pump will find a new home and get a new relief valve.
16177677776188699767049488976151.jpg

Installed my tape deck today. The truck had a 2 din touch screen when I bought it. If it wasn't going to be original I wanted it to be period correct and a design that complemented the rest of the dash. The old Alpine 'ice cube' does nicely.

20210417_172134.jpg

Just need better speakers, an amplifier and a storage cubby for below. That trim bezel has also seen better days. Will be replaced eventually.

Got around to finishing up my EGR delete today. I did sort of a half job earlier, only doing the block off plates. At that point I was diagnosing a noise, now I'm trying to make it run better.

The two plates in the venturi are now out. All the vacuum nonsense also removed. Feels weird taking this much off.
16187747807155340930551220732696.jpg

A few random photos of the process...

20210418_092604.jpg

20210418_094211.jpg

20210418_114357.jpg

16187755822727258493496369955876.jpg

I've been having an issue with my idle. I was sure it was those plates and that this would solve it. Not the case though.

My RPMs will drop by about 100 for a second then back to normal. Parked or at a light, cold or hot, doesn't seem to make a difference. I also notice it when at cruising speed, but more of a slight variation. Almost as if I'm not steady on the throttle. I should also mention that it's a little inconsistent.

I haven't been out for a drive yet, but it's still doing it parked in the driveway. Will see how it does out on the road.

You'll notice a significant increase in low end torque with those throttle plates gone. A major upgrade in my opinion!

Added some modern comfort today.
20210420_174539.jpg

20210420_172849.jpg

The end result...

20210420_182901.jpg

Fits in the switch cover hole perfectly. The USB ports are wired direct to battery via the power outlet under the hood...

20210420_182332.jpg

On a side note. How great is that power outlet? I have my daytime running lights wired to ignition, my deck and glow plug switch on ACC.

Replaced the throttle position sensor today. Previously I had an issue with my RPMS jumping by about 100 and back down while driving. Stopped or parked, there would be a drop by about 100 for a bit, then back up to normal. With the new sensor everything is normal. The sweetest part is the Toyota dealership actually had one.
20210429_164938.jpg

Got a little ahead of myself. After going on a bit of a longer drive, it's apparent the throttle sensor did not solve my issue. The RPMS are still doing their surge/drop routine. It doesn't happen consistently, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, but often enough to be concerning.

Today I'll take a short video of my tach to show exactly what I mean. I'll likely post a thread in diesel tech about the issue. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Cheers.

Got around to finishing up my EGR delete today. I did sort of a half job earlier, only doing the block off plates. At that point I was diagnosing a noise, now I'm trying to make it run better.

The two plates in the venturi are now out. All the vacuum nonsense also removed. Feels weird taking this much off.
View attachment 2649100

A few random photos of the process...

View attachment 2649101
View attachment 2649102

View attachment 2649104

View attachment 2649112

I've been having an issue with my idle. I was sure it was those plates and that this would solve it. Not the case though.

My RPMs will drop by about 100 for a second then back to normal. Parked or at a light, cold or hot, doesn't seem to make a difference. I also notice it when at cruising speed, but more of a slight variation. Almost as if I'm not steady on the throttle. I should also mention that it's a little inconsistent.

I haven't been out for a drive yet, but it's still doing it parked in the driveway. Will see how it does out on the road.
What type of plates did you use to block off the egr? Did you customize them or buy them?

What type of plates did you use to block off the egr? Did you customize them or buy them?
I made my own by tracing the gaskets on 1/4" plate steel and cutting them out with an angle grinder. Sealed with red RTV. They're pretty crude but they work. Hardest part was finding steel thick enough.

I made my own by tracing the gaskets on 1/4" plate steel and cutting them out with an angle grinder. Sealed with red RTV. They're pretty crude but they work. Hardest part was finding steel thick enough
I made my own by tracing the gaskets on 1/4" plate steel and cutting them out with an angle grinder. Sealed with red RTV. They're pretty crude but they work. Hardest part was finding steel thick enough.
where did you buy the steel?

Ended up finding it at Lowe's. Had to buy a square foot plate unfortunately. 3" wide steel bar would have been better.

Im watching with lots of interest if you solve the surging, my 1KZTE does the exact same thing after about a half an hour of running, if I lightly feather the throttle I can make it surge , under load you can feel it a little and after a while it will go away, if it idles for more than 10 mins you can here it surging up and down the revs, its never crapped out and its been doing it for ages now, its almost as if the fuel lines are getting air bubbles in them, really annoying but I have learnt to live with it for now

Built a floor for the back this weekend. Not quite finished, needs trim. Gives my three dogs a solid level surface to stand on that dries easily. Gives me a decent surface to sleep on occasionally also. The finished product ended up being pretty heavy (80lbs), but lots of weight lost taking the seats out.
20210526_200650.jpg

I also made some templates for ABS interior panels so I can put the originals in storage. Clean and dry is the goal. Hoping to get to the plastic shop this week, looking forward to finishing this bit.
20210526_201652.jpg

Are you not using the factory amps?
I am not, just the output on my head unit for now. I never gave much consideration to the factory system. All the speakers were shot and the OEM deck was gone.

You use the plural form, are there two amps? I know of the one in the back, I assume is for the rear door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom