92 HDJ81 jerk at highway speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a filter inside, mine was full of filings from the lack of ACSD PM which was put off for the winter...exactly when it is used most!

In hindsight the occasional jerky transmission hiccups were telling me something and that something was PM me because I am going to cause you some troubles.

Other symptoms include random not perfect starts, stalling and/or high rev's

Pull the ACSD's three bolts, you can install a blank with the "O-ring".

The ACSD was leaking fuel and l took it off few months ago.
SQUASH,what year is your 81 and where is the screen?
Simon

1990 197,000km 1HDT
Many of the 1HZ IP parts are identical except for the cam. I can look for part numbers if required.

Are you having similar issues???

Another thing to look for is whether you get high idle in "Park" mine was jumping to 3000rpm and 2000rpm when driving. This happened on the road from Toronto to Sudbury.

Luckily I did not require a new pump, but it was close.

The pics are not great, but you can see the filings! This causes the Govener to fight your skinny pedal via the metering valve, hence erratic operation if not PM'd.
SSPX0124.jpg
SSPX0128.jpg
SSPX0127.jpg

My VW Bosch VE pump behaved very much like yours giving a jerking power delivery to the engine at random intervals and mostly at higher speed. It turned out to be a broken wire, inside the plastic insulation cover supplying voltage to the shut off solenoid which in effect was turning off the fuel supply when the solenoid would open circuit while in operation. My theory was that the wind pressure moved the wire enough at higher speeds to pull the break zone apart enough to cause the interruption.

l have wiggled that wire,may be l should look under the rubber cover.
Simon

Simon,

How about installing a test light onto the solenoid connector and going for a drive to see if the power is being interrupted. You will want to run the test light up onto the top of the dash for ease of visibility while driving.

My previous suggestion was rigging a switch into the circuit so you can reproduce the theory of losing power to the cut off solenoid.

rick

good ldea.
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom