92 FJ80 wont restart after running with ac (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a 92 FJ80 this weekend with 130k miles on it.

The seller says the engine won't restart for a while after he has had it running with the ac on.

He said he has had it to the dealer multiple times and they can't solve the problem.

I'm new to Cruisers (converted jeep owner) and was wondering if this was a problem that others have experienced before or if someone has any idea at all.

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to officially become a fellow cruiser owner.

Hello Eight Oh and welcome to the 80s section. Do you have a name or do we just call you 8 - o?

The 91-92 models are notorious for having a problem with the EFI relay. It's a relatively easy fix and there are a couple of ways to solve the problem.  I haven't heard that it was related to using the A/C but that may just be the seller's way of describing/excusing the problem.  Typically, the EFI will overheat and the truck won't start. When the relay cools off it starts OK.

(US specific discussion follows)

Since you are still looking for a truck, I'll give some unsolicited advice that you can do with as you want.  The 91-92 FJ80's are excellent trucks and, other than the engine, they are almost identical to the later FZJ80's (93-97.)  The FJ80's have the 3FE engine. It is less powerful than the 1FZ-FE engine and therefore the 91-92's are considered to be underpowered by most 80's owners. (I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.) And if 212hp isn't enough for you, TRD offers a super charger for the 1FZ-FE engines. Not for the 3FE though.

The factory diff lock option was available from 93-97. This option is highly desireable if you plan to wheel your truck. If not, then you don't need to look for one with that option. Since you are coming from a heep, I'm guessing you have plans to wheel your Cruiser. All FJ80s and FZJ80s have a locking center differential. The "diff lock" option provides electric locking front and rear axles. Neat huh? And they're FREE on used Cruisers!

There are model differences every year from 91-97 but nothing as significant as the 1FZ-FE engine.

See Slee's Newbie guide for some more information about the various models in the 80 Series.
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Good Luck in your search for a new Cruiser and let us know if you have other questions.

-B-

Thanks wulf....

I have been toying with the idea of buying a 60 series for a few months now but a long trip this weekend emphasized the reason why I want to get rid of my jeep in the first place... comfort!

So I began this week by doing some research on 80 series and found out the 93-97 ZJ80's were the more desirable model.

The only reason I'm looking at this particular 80 is because the price is sooo low. I could drop in one of those shiny new turn-key Vortec V8's and a set of ARB's and I would still be way ahead of the price I would output on a ZJ80. But I also realize I'm dreaming a little ( ok, a lot!).

Whatever I buy will certainly be used offroad and the factory locker option is mucho attractive as is the bigger motor.

What about transmissions, I was reading where the newer FZJ80's went to a lighter duty tranny. Is this something to concern myself with or is the new tranny plenty capable?

Also, thanks for the link to Christo's site. I read it yesterday.

Any other comments or links are welcomed.

Regards,
Larry

Larry,

>> What about transmissions, I was reading <<
>> where the newer FZJ80's went to a lighter <<
>> duty tranny. Is this something to concern <<
>> myself with or is the new tranny plenty capable? <<

Wow, you really know how to open a can of worms don't you!

There was a tranny change in 95. The later model transmission is the same one Toyota has in the V8 powered 100 series. That should put your mind at ease about it's capability. Rumor has it that the earlier transmission was designed for use in small Japanese busses. It is STOUT.

We have a little good natured ribbing on this and other lists about the pros and cons of the two different transmissions. I would never get involved in tranny bashing :G but others will at the drop of a hat.

The bottom line is that *all* transmissions in the 80 series Cruisers are very reliable, durable, and capable transmissions. The only "problem" is that those of us here in the US are stuck with automatic transmissions and petrol engines. Other parts of the world got manuals and a variety of diesel engines. Transmission problems are few and far between unless there was a lack of routine maintenance or something like a loss of ATF due to a line failure of some kind.

-B-

The no-start, as the Wulf indicated , is probably related to the EFI relay circuit. It is easily repairable with the correct procedure. As to the transmissions..............IF one wants maximum fluid capacity AND a 1FZ engine, it's gotta be a 93-94 model ::)

Regards, Dan :beer:

Larry, I was recently in the same boat as you.  I sold a 60 series and wanted another cruiser with more comfort, but still good off road.  I found a 1992 with 172000 miles on the ticker...but absolutely beautiful, always dealer maintained, with full receipts....for a heck of a low price ($2K less than I sold my 60 for!)  (Read, ARB on order, along with some other goodies...) So I went for it and haven't been happier.

Yes, the 1FZE engine would be nice on the highway, but I'm satisfied to do 80 on the flats and 60 on steep hills.

The 91-92s are nice rigs, and with the price, you can afford to build them and wheel them without worrying about a few dents and scratches.

Cheers,

-H-

And heck, you can lowball the price cuz' of the "problem"; correct it easily, and have some #6/Mod. $$$ to play with. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom