91Prado LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone

I just joined this forum today. I'm in Tokyo and have been living here a few years. The tiime is comming for me to leave Japan and return to Vancouver. So it's got me thinking about cars alot.
At the moment I'm driving a 1995 Prado SX 3.0 Turbo. I really love this car but because of the laws it won't be making the pilgrimage to Canada.
I found a 91 LJ78 for a great price. So I'm thinking of bringing this vehicle instead. While my 3.0 SX can pretty much take whatever we throw at it in terms of use here..I know that the LJ78 will have to be driven with a bit more care in terms of pushing it (high revs etc)
I have managed to read up on a few posts here and I can see great concern over the cyl head crack issue. So I have a few questions to throw out..
Would it be wise to get the head changed out here in Japan as a precaution? How much would it cost in Vancouver to carry out this operation if the need arose. And if so...what would you recomend? Meaning should I be putting a 3.0 head on my 2.4..and does Toyota have the correct parts or is it an aftermarket type thing?
I was also wondering ...installing a mechanical temp guage. Is it a cheap thing to do in Canada or better here? I'm not mecanical so pardon my ignorance..Whats a Pyro? Should I install one?
I also noticed that there has been some discussion about the lights and the laws. Can someone explain what kind of modifications I can be expected to make to my LJ78 to comply with Canadian/BC law once I get it there?
Thanks for reading. Sorry to ramble on. I have many more questions but in consideration of bandwidth conservation I'll stop for now.

Best Regards

Bakasan
Tokyo

95 Prado SX 3.0 turbo

Hi! Welcome!

I wouldnt replace the cyl head in Japan unless it was obviously cracked - colant everywhere and performance issues to say the least. I would wait until it goes (if it does) personally. Just put some money aside as "insurance"? You can get all parts you need here from Toyota for that head. The parts cost may even be cheaper in Canada vs Japan after you consider freight from Japan (bare head does weigh approx 75 lbs).

A pyro measures the exhasut temperature - a key monitor to what is going on in the motor. I dont knowmuch specifics - search and ye will find on this forum.

As for the lights, anybody's best guess really - again, do a search on this topic and you'll be as up to date as the rest of us.

:beer:

Johnny-san

Hey Bakasan,

Too bad you're going to have to leave your Prado in Japan - if I'm not mistaken, it's the same body style as the '91, but with a 1KZ-T? Nice engine. Maybe you should look at getting a 1KZ swapped into the '91...?

Anyway, there certainly have been issues with the 2.4, as a few members here have experienced, but I'm not sure it would be worth your while to have the head changed as a purely precautionary measure. Being in Japan already, you can test drive the truck, and have it inspected before you buy it. If you can, take it for a good test drive, and watch for the signs of head problems (no cabin heat, overheating, expansion tank bubbling, etc.) A good long drive in stop and go should do it. All the better if you can get a mechanic to look at it. It's quite possible that the head was changed at some point in the history of the car, but then again maybe not. I think there is a bit of a consensus that the head cracking issue is largely related to lack of maintenance and abusive driving habits, so if you can learn about the history of the car, all the better.

Definitely, you can get all of the necessary parts to replace the head here in Canada - several of us have done it. It's not super cheap to have to do the head, but it's not the worst thing that could happen, either. But I'd say, if you can get the car checked out before you buy it, you're set.

Mechanical temp gauge installation is quite easy. If you can repair a flat tire on a bicycle, you can install a mech temp gauge.

A pyrometer measured the exhaust gas temps. It is pretty important on these engines, I think, as it 's easy to push them too hard. I only really watch it on climbs, but I'm glad to know what's going on in the combustion chamber. Installing a pyro is a little trickier, only because you need to drill and tap, and do a bit of wiring, but still not too tough.

As far as making your truck legal for BC highways, you'll need to add side reflectors front and rear and change out your headlamps for ones designed for travel on the right hand side of the road. Strictly speaking, your tail light and front lenses should bear the DOT/SAE marking, but I've decided to leave this one for now. If I get hassled, I'll probably add some aftermarket generic lamps. You will also need to add a set of daytime running lights (or re-wire your parking lights to stay on when the engine is running) and a high-mount rear brake light. That should do it, assuming a previous owner hasn't replaced your factory glass with glass plate!

Good luck with your purchase. If you get a chance, post up some pictures of your '95 in the readers' rides or in the International clubhouse.

Cheers,
Robin

Thanks for the replies. Is swapping the engine an expensive task? And does it match up ? I have thought about it. I just wonder the time and $ (or yen) involved. I know that the LJ78 has had the timming belt done at 94.000km (its at 117,000km now) and the pulleys and water pump changed. It is very clean ..the previous owner took care of it. It has a few comestic things....like scrapes etc..but overall pretty clean.
I'm excited to have a Prado in Canada. I have thought for years as I drove my current Prado..how great this ride would be in Canada. While I cant bring our 3.0 we can bring this 2.4 . So I will give it a go.
I'll try to snap a few picks of my 95. Its pretty busy around here with our moving. We just shipped out 13m3 of our belongings. Now I gotta get moving on this new Prado. I'd like to get a roof rack /ladder for it. Sweet Ride...

Bakasan
Tokyo

95 Prado SX 3.0 turbo

I posted a couple pics of my 3.0 in the readers rides section. couldnt figure out hot to make the pics smaller now that I'm confined to a old notebook PC (my real PC is in transit).
I have a few more questions. At what point do the lights become an issue? Ive read a few posts on this. One poster pointed out that being over 15 yrs means the car has an exemption and that the law is being misunderstood. Is it a case of it being caught with the initial inspection? Or is it something to get pulled over for? And I was wondering about how other LJ78 owners are dealing with it in turms of swapping or mods.

Thanks

Bakasan

This might help: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=88101

Some parts are a lot cheaper in Japan, some are about the same.

I'd suggest getting a timing belt, the idler pulleys and a thermostat and seal at least. You might want to get a water pump too.

And if your engine is a 2LTE get it tuned up before you ship the truck. Not much 2LTE expertise in NA.

Thanks, I saw that post. I'm just wondering if this light issue is serious enough for the car to fail inspection. And if there are any work arounds. ie replacing the rear lights with ones that are DOT in the bumper..or something. I was thinking that the turn lights could be replaced by making some adaptor to fit the hole and use DOT compliant Toyota parts in there place. The back lights look a bit harder. Any ideas out there? Is this something a body shop could handle?

Thanks

Bakasan39 said:
I'm just wondering if this light issue is serious enough for the car to fail inspection. And if there are any work arounds. ie replacing the rear lights with ones that are DOT in the bumper..or something.

A: Yes, and yes. There are work-arounds, it's just a question of $$. However if Penticton Toyota can get theirs through inspection you should be able to as well.

As to the engine swap issue you have the donor truck in your possession right now. If it was me I would by an older one ( in good shape) and strip everything needed on yours to send back. The 1KZ is worth having, but in Canada or the States there is no way I would want a 2LT if i HAD A 1KZ to choose from. Once you registered the truck swap out the 2LT and sell it to compensate for the swap.

Thanks bj44.
Time is a bit of an issue. Im leaving Japan in 6 days. Do you have any idea how much $$$ (yen) it would cost to swap out the engine? I could perhaps have the Prado brought out later. Does the 1KZ swap across ok? or do mods have to be made? I'll be the first to admit i am not a mechanic..so Im very ignorant with cars etc. But I'm eager to learn. There is a good 4x4 shop nearby..I'll pop in and ask them.
Is there a resale value on the 2LT here in Tokyo?
Thanks for replying..
Bakasan

BJ-44 said:
As to the engine swap issue you have the donor truck in your possession right now. If it was me I would by an older one ( in good shape) and strip everything needed on yours to send back. The 1KZ is worth having, but in Canada or the States there is no way I would want a 2LT if i HAD A 1KZ to choose from. Once you registered the truck swap out the 2LT and sell it to compensate for the swap.

Bakasan,

Hahahah, Cool name!

I agree with BJ-44 here just for the fact that I too have a 92 LJ-78 and I think it is just right for Japan and the type of driving here in Japan BUT you are talking about North America now with your question at hand.

The questions are:

1)Would I feel confident with with my wife taking my son across North America with a LJ-78 during the summer months at North American highway speeds, hell no. (Especially the southern US)

2) Would I feel confident with my wife taking a KZJ-78 across North America with my son during the summer months, Absolutely!

3) The 2L-TE is a good motor, yes, but it can not handle high RPMS for long sustained distances (warm/hot weather) and there you have head cracking problems. On the other hand Toyota made right everything wrong with a 2L-TE when they developed the 1KZ and then some.

With your situation and time constaints, I would do the following if I wanted to do what you are asking.

1) Buy the 91 LJ-78. Ship it to Dave Stedman at Japan4x4.

2) Keeep the KZJ-78 and not sell it. Ship that too to Dave at Japan4x4.

3) Have Japan4x4 do a check on the the LJ-78 and ship it to Canada.

4) After you ship the KZJ-78 to Japan4x4 have them sit on it until you get the LJ-78 registered in Canada. Either way doing this will allow you to recoup some/most the money spent on the LJ-78 and keeping the KZJ-78 because you will always be able to sell that KZJ-78 or 1KZ at a drop of the hat.

5) When you are nice and safe and sound back in Canada with your LJ-78 and the funds allow you, ship the 1KZ engine and tranny and all the bells the and whistles to Canada via Japan4x4.

6) When the time is right swap out the 2L-TE for the 1KZ in Canada. Eitherway you can recoup some money from a good running 2L-TE or the 1KZ.

I think this is a very good win win for your situation. I would do this in your situation and I trust Dave with my family as he trusts me with his. You got my word Dave will be fair in regards to what you want to do. All you have to do is trust and dig into your pockets a little bit now but I see you coming out ahead across the board in the future if you choose this route.

For what it is worth I'm sending two of my cruisers to Dave and Paolo at Japan4x4 to sit on for shipment to the US until I get back from Iraq.

I hope this will help you with your situation.

Regards,

Randy

Last edited:
LJ 78 Engine change

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1993 LJ 78 Auto which has decided to crack the head and am looking at my options to get going again. One is to fit 3L head which many others have done. I would also like to know what more powerful engines can be fitted to my LJ 78 as 2.4 Auto is badly underpowered. Has anyone succesfully fitted a bigger engine and what is envolved? Looking forward to some good news!

Regards

Peter

"You deserve a thread today..." Start a new one Peter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom