91 Missing & Running Rough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife's daily driver 91 FJ80 with aboot 150K
Plugs & cap/ rotor changed last year.
It's been running rough on and of for a while.
Big down turn last week or so.
This morning I started it and it was missing badly. Put it in D and took off.
Missing, running rough and shaking very badly.
Drove couple miles thru town to the coffee drive up and when I left ("prolly" warmed up by then) it ran quite a bit better all the way to work (13 m) on the highway.
3 hrs later started it up and it was missing like before but when I hit the highway it shook bad and had a weird miss like the whole
engine wasn't running just for a split second. It didn't buck or anything like you'd think and saw no decrease in the RPM's but you could feel that just the same.
Work mate dropped by on his day off and hooked up the modis but no codes found. Steady blink blink blink blink which is supposed to be 'normal'.
"Prolly" left something out but there you have it.
Perplexed...:bang:

:cool:

H20 in the fuel, bad fuel pump/pressure, fouled plugs, corrosion in the distributor, clogged fuel filter.. I agree with Gnob, plugs, then check compression, then fuel pressure... The distributors get corroded and have intermittent issues. Then the ignition coil and ignitor can have issues too. I have some parts leftover from a 3fe.. If it's smog or vacuum leak related I know the 3fe is a mess.. I have some of that stuff too but not the stuff that everyone wants.

#1) 130
#2) 119
#3) 119
#4) 65
#5) 135
#6) 135
:cry:

Red tagged for now.
Possibly down for the count.
Moving on might be the best move.

Yup, repair costs and fuel prices send the big old rigs to the scrap yard. We've been dealing with car issues and it gets expensive really quick.

one of the mechanics here that does side work took the Lc and did a compression and leak down test.
Still low on #4 (60 psi).
Leak down produced pressure through the exhaust and a few bubbles in the radiator.
Possibly cracked head or bad head gasket? Head "prolly" has to come off to go any further.
If a another head is required, that could be a tall order as the last one was not easy to come by.
Good grief.
Help me Mr. Wizzard! (have to be old to remember that reference)

hell no!

right . then the fun ($$$) begins...again.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom