91 LJ 77 what is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep finding things that I wonder what they are for.

Here is the easy one first. This is located over the passenger door:

20181208_104125.jpg

While repairing the rear dome light, I blew the fuse. When I went to change out the fuse I found this switch:

20181208_104154.jpg

This is under the dash by the hood latch release. So, I flipped it and it makes this red light blink:

20181208_123528.jpg

I can't find anything else that it does.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what it may be for? Something really good like a front locker to go with the LSD in the rear.

Thanks for the help.

One down, one to go.

Thanks

These rigs tend to be full of aftermarket switches and wiring. Probably the only way to find out what that switch and light are for is to trace the wires to find out where they go.

We filled a 5 gallon bucket with wires (and several small antennas) that went absolutely no where and served no apparent purpose in my 77 Series. :)

Careful with that switch and red light. Maybe it's a 'wilson switch' for your glow plugs? Don't want to leave them on and melt them into your cylinder head.

Hello,

The wise thing to do is follow the wiring to see where it ends.

Chances are it is a Wilson switch of some kind. Or a security device that makes that LED blink, to make it look like an auto alarm.

Some POs like to fill their trucks with useless switches and wires. Most of the time it is hacked junk that drains the battery or compromises the ignition circuit.

I would delete that switch.

Juan

A PO added a push button start switch. You still have to turn the key to on and then push the start button and it will start the truck. Maybe he had a wrist injury and could turn the key to start?

I will try and follow the wire to see where it leads. It has been off all the time I have had the truck, about 3 months.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Honstely it is not that hard to take the entire dash apart. You can then easily see where this wiring goes as well as remove or repair it.

The 70-series is the easiest Cruiser I have worked on in terms of taking the dash apart, amount of room in the dash and very simple wiring.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom