'91 HDJ81 Buy Curious/Smart Buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, looking to get some second opinions on a particular HDJ81 for sale here on MUD if anyone is willing to share some insight for a noob.

I'm new to both cruisers and diesels just to be totally honest.

The HDJ81 I'm looking at is a JDM imported to British Columbia that has been since brought here to the states where its been for several years. At some point someone hit something, most likely in the front of the vehicle according to the current owner. Its since been repaired and given a branded title. This is my first and biggest concern. I know these are frame on body and tougher than average, but is insuring owning a land cruiser with a rebuilt title something that scares off most of you? If I can get it for the right price I never intend on selling the truck, but I also want to be smart.

The BEBs were done, Birfs rebuilt, a new radiator installed, OME shocks and springs, all done two owners ago.

A second issue is that it smokes on startup which I know can mean several things. The current owner thinks its the crankcase vent putting oil into the turbo. A catch can system could solve this problem if I'm not mistaken, but I've also heard some diesel owners malign catch can systems. In the event of going that route, how difficult would it be to get a mounting bracket fitted for it and to have one installed?

My third concern is the reason I've avoided 1KZ-TEs in my search for a good diesel Toyota. The owner has stated the transmission getting hot on steep mountain passes. It doesn't have gauges currently which is something I'd look at adding at some point. (I don't know how intensive of a mod that is though) The owner says he has an oversized cooler he planned on installing but he would need a proper fabricated bracket to install it. I know intercoolers are a common upgrade on these trucks. Is there a reason to go with an "oversized cooler" instead of just installing an 80 series cooler?

I would end up driving this cruiser daily if I made the purchase. Should I run or consider spending a bit more for something with a clean title? I'd also really prefer to end up with a 24v, but they're just a bit out of my price range above 30k, which is what leads me to where I am.

I appreciate any constructive thoughts, I may be a bit in over my head, but what's life without a little risk?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:
Hey man, I responded to your SLC diesel guru post as well. Beautiful looking truck there!

It would probably be easiest to chat thru your concerns on a phone call, I've dealt with all the above except the branded title (but I have another car which has one). PM me and I'll give you my #.

Assuming there isn't significant damage from the accident (bent frame, bent axles, etc.) the branded title wouldn't worry me a bit. I'd mostly be worried about getting insurance to cover it for enough $ to replace the rig in case of total loss! You will need to use the saved money to baseline the rig and, MOST IMPORTANTLY at the very least with these trucks, put in a proper gauge set!

Hey man, I responded to your SLC diesel guru post as well. Beautiful looking truck there!

It would probably be easiest to chat thru your concerns on a phone call, I've dealt with all the above except the branded title (but I have another car which has one). PM me and I'll give you my #.

Assuming there isn't significant damage from the accident (bent frame, bent axles, etc.) the branded title wouldn't worry me a bit. I'd mostly be worried about getting insurance to cover it for enough $ to replace the rig in case of total loss! You will need to use the saved money to baseline the rig and, MOST IMPORTANTLY at the very least with these trucks, put in a proper gauge set!
Thank you! PM sent.

First off, Jellis is a smart guy. You'll learn everything you'll need to know from him.

My opinion: I wouldn't worry about a branded title. As long as the frame / axles are in good condition, you shouldn't have to fret it.

Smoke on startup can be a few things, though pretty much every HDJ81 i've seen, including my own, smokes a little on startup. Could be oil in the turbo, could be injectors, yada yada - catch cans are absolutely simple to install so i'd throw one on regardless. Some, like the HPD can, come with a bracket in the box. I'd also pull the turbo and take a look at it when you get a chance. Mine was covered in oil when I first got my truck. Oh, and get gauges as soon as you can - they're pretty easy to install.

The A442F hydro does get hot, especially with larger tires. Some guys like the Toyota OEM transcooler, though that will be a pain to fit if you get a front mount intercooler. I went with a remote transcooler from Derale, which is overkill, but ensures ill never overheat the damn thing. Jellis has a WAT valve body on the trans I sold him and he says there are no heat issues anymore.

Not sure I follow on the 24v. Aren't all HDJ81's 24v?

EDIT: OP was referring to 24 valve (HDFT) not voltage. Now I get it.

Couple other things to be mindful about:

1) Get an oil analysis from Blackstone. It will give you an idea of the state your engine is in and can be a nice baseline

2) I'd want to know what PSI the turbo is set at and whether the fuel screw has been messed with. Too many people try to tune these things without any real knowledge about what they're doing.

Last edited:
My input:
A catch can is a good upgrade and will help your engine run cleaner. The only issues I've had with them is in very cold weather (generally below 0ºF) the hoses can freeze up and cause the crankcase to become quite pressurized, pushing out either the dipstick or blowing oil past the turbo seals.

Your third question has me confused, are you talking about an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler or an intercooler? Both are a good idea, especially if you plan on pulling large hills. The only time I saw the transmission temp light come on in the HDJ81 I had (my brother's now) was at the top of a steep, low speed pass that we pulled in high range. That rig has an aftermarket cooler installed, too.

An intercooler is a great upgrade, well worth the effort. When my brother installed his the EGT's dropped from pushing 1300-1400ºF on acceleration to staying under 1200ºF, and it enabled him to turn up the fuel and boost for quite a bit more power without getting too hot.

As for gauges, pyrometer and boost would be first on my list, followed by transmission temp, especially if you plan to work it hard and/or tow anything.

I'm not convinced there is much to gain going with a 1HD-FT over a 1HD-T; the power and torque figures are not much different and the FT's command quite a premium. I haven't driven a 1HD-FT though, so I could be mistaken.

First off, Jellis is a smart guy. You'll learn everything you'll need to know from him.

My opinion: I wouldn't worry about a branded title. As long as the frame / axles are in good condition, you shouldn't have to fret it.

Smoke on startup can be a few things, though pretty much every HDJ81 i've seen, including my own, smokes a little on startup. Could be oil in the turbo, could be injectors, yada yada - catch cans are absolutely simple to install so i'd throw one on regardless. Some, like the HPD can, come with a bracket in the box. I'd also pull the turbo and take a look at it when you get a chance. Mine was covered in oil when I first got my truck. Oh, and get gauges as soon as you can - they're pretty easy to install.

The A442F hydro does get hot, especially with larger tires. Some guys like the Toyota OEM transcooler, though that will be a pain to fit if you get a front mount intercooler. I went with a remote transcooler from Derale, which is overkill, but ensures ill never overheat the damn thing. Jellis has a WAT valve body on the trans I sold him and he says there are no heat issues anymore.

1) Get an oil analysis from Blackstone. It will give you an idea of the state your engine is in and can be a nice baseline

2) I'd want to know what PSI the turbo is set at and whether the fuel screw has been messed with. Too many people try to tune these things without any real knowledge about what they're doing.

No... They aren't all 24v
The early ones are 12v

@Dusten So my 1990 is 12V but something like a 1996 might be 24V all the time and not just during startup? So no 12-24V contactor on the later models?

My catchcan experience was AWFUL, an unseeable filter in the can got plugged which caused by dipstick to blow out.....luckily the first time it happened I happened to be sitting at a gas station in the middle of nowhere so I could buy out their entire oil supply. That happened a few more times before I figured out what the heck was going on! Ironically, I'm sure I dumped more oil on the ground from that stupid catch can than all the catch cans in the world have saved from the ground combined.....now I just straight hose it.

My input:
A catch can is a good upgrade and will help your engine run cleaner. The only issues I've had with them is in very cold weather (generally below 0ºF) the hoses can freeze up and cause the crankcase to become quite pressurized, pushing out either the dipstick or blowing oil past the turbo seals.

Your third question has me confused, are you talking about an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler or an intercooler? Both are a good idea, especially if you plan on pulling large hills. The only time I saw the transmission temp light come on in the HDJ81 I had (my brother's now) was at the top of a steep, low speed pass that we pulled in high range. That rig has an aftermarket cooler installed, too.

An intercooler is a great upgrade, well worth the effort. When my brother installed his the EGT's dropped from pushing 1300-1400ºF on acceleration to staying under 1200ºF, and it enabled him to turn up the fuel and boost for quite a bit more power without getting too hot.

As for gauges, pyrometer and boost would be first on my list, followed by transmission temp, especially if you plan to work it hard and/or tow anything.

I'm not convinced there is much to gain going with a 1HD-FT over a 1HD-T; the power and torque figures are not much different and the FT's command quite a premium. I haven't driven a 1HD-FT though, so I could be mistaken.
Yes, I was talking specifically about a transmission fluid cooler, but an intercooler is almost certainly in any future I have with an HDJ81. Gauges will definitely happen as well. I don't offroad a ton, so engine health is more of a priority vs performance, but if there's a happy medium thats likely where I'd end up. If I'm honest my main reasons for looking at 95's + is more for the better fuel economy and possibility of airbags. More range is always important for me, but in the long run better fuel economy is an attractive upgrade. Maybe not $15K worth of attractive though haha.

EDIT: OP was referring to 24 valve (HDFT) not voltage. Now I get it.

It sounds like there's quite a few options when it comes to intercoolers and transcoolers. Besides the fact that a top mounted intercooler somewhat obstructs things in the engine, is there any other reason to go with that vs a front mount? From what I can tell a VB upgrade is almost mandatory on these trucks. I have some funds set aside for upgrades like this, but I may end up having to prioritize what I do at first. It seems for most people that the intercooler is the preferred first upgrade.

I probably should've specified valve over just a simple V. That's my bad.

What do you mean when you say "fuel screw"? I'd like to do a bit more research on that. Tuning is an entirely foreign concept to me on a rig like these.

Again, thank you for all the advice thus far!

A top mount air-to-air is much less efficient than a front mount and is prone to heat soak. It also requires cutting a hole in the hood for a scoop. A top mount water-to-air is probably similar performance-wise to a front mount. The tradeoffs are mostly complexity of the plumbing/wiring for water-to-air versus complexity of fitting intercooler piping through the engine bay for a front mount air-to-air.

@Dusten So my 1990 is 12V but something like a 1996 might be 24V all the time and not just during startup? So no 12-24V contactor on the later models?

My catchcan experience was AWFUL, an unseeable filter in the can got plugged which caused by dipstick to blow out.....luckily the first time it happened I happened to be sitting at a gas station in the middle of nowhere so I could buy out their entire oil supply. That happened a few more times before I figured out what the heck was going on! Ironically, I'm sure I dumped more oil on the ground from that stupid catch can than all the catch cans in the world have saved from the ground combined.....now I just straight hose it.

Doh I thought you meant 12 valve...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom