91 4runner tranny death? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My sisters 91 4runner with 120000 miles has had what seems to be major automatic tranny probs. First she noticed lack of acceleration on hills and then the tranny light came on. She stopped at a service stn and had the low tranny fluid topped up. Worked OK for a bit then started slipping?? again as well as tranny fluid leaking fairly quickly. Enough to make a small pool. She had it towed to town. It is dark so I could not get a look at the tranny oil, but it did have a slightly burnt smell. I put it both in forward and reverse and did brake stands and it seemed to grab ok. Lots of fluid on the underside of the vehicle. Any guesses would be of help.
Thanks,
Sean

I would say to go ahead and drain the old fluid via the plug on the bottom of the tranny. Put new in and see if you can find a leak. The newer fluis will aid in finding any problem areas.

check the archives of the LCML at www.birfield.com for posts about 4runner tranny/jeff zepp.
he posted some time ago about a similar problem with his daughters 4runner and also a solution.

doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom