91 4runner parking brake cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to replace the parking brake cable. I have the old one extracted and the new
one installed except for hooking it up to the ratched shaft in the cab. I understand
(or at least I think that I understand) that the pin towards the fire wall end of the
shaft that also activates the "Parking Brake On" light has to come out to seperate
the small end of the shaft from the rest of it, so I can put the new cable in it's slot.
My question is how do I get that pin out? I see that when the parking brake is all the way in
that a small hole lines up with the opposite end of the pin and I've tried to push out the pin
that way, but with no success. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Surley someone
has done this before.
Thanks
Toolman

Just remove the assembly and tap the pin out with a small puch or something. I don't think you need to take the assemly apart any more than that though, you should be able to twist it around with the pin out and find a spot where the able will go in. If it comes out OK, just tap it back in when you're done. I think I used a little lock tite or super glue also. I have mangled one before trying to twist it out.:eek: It is possible to find another piece of metal that will work in the hole, but if you need one call Wollf Auto at (406) 273-7213. Don has a Toyota truck boneyard and ships everywhere. The lever will work without it, but of course the light will be on.

If it gets twisted around alot by your kids your cable end will fall out of the slot, though...

Thanks. I was contemplating taking the entire assembly out, but was hoping it was simpler than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom