8th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 12-17 Silverton, Colorado* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I said it last year and will say it again...I REALLY want to make this event, I have to plan better! We have to put vacation days in around Sept or Oct year before, is it normally scheduled around the same date?

We will finalize out new contract with the Town of Silverton during HIH8. We'll most likely go back to our preferred dates (end of July - early August)

We'll be able to release the event dates for HIH9 - HIH13 by this fall. HIHX will obviously be a big deal and huge celebration.

Just curious, but if someone wants to watch the more modified vehicles climb up the wall at Poughkeepsie Gulch without trying it themselves, which trail run should you register for (the one with the bypass or without)?

The bypass goes way around the wall and bypasses the entire area (you can't even see the wall from the bypass). We have not run a bypass and non-bypass Poughkeepsie trail together...... although, that's not a bad idea. It would allow folks to go have a look and decide if they'd like to give it a shot or not. @bluecruiser's Poughkeepsie Gulch run has always been a highlight of HIH.

I believe we're going to have a 3 strikes rule on this run from now on. Each driver gets 3 chances at making it up the wall. If you're unsuccessful, you can either be winched up, or turn around and take the bypass, meeting up with the group on the other side. We had the trail fairly backed up last year trying to get everyone up and over. Then we had some carnage that delayed us even further.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is defiantly one of the more enjoyable trails if your rig is ready for it.

It you can't make it up the wall, just grab a winch line.

Last edited:
Poughkeepsie Gulch is defiantly one of the more enjoyable trails if your rig is ready for it.

It you can't make it up the wall, just grab a winch line.

Stock height with 285/65/16 and sliders. Should be able to make it up?

Stock height with 285/65/16 and sliders. Should be able to make it up?

Stock height for sure makes for a greater challenge, though doable with the correct line and driving techniqueWith your set up I would likely try the left side of the wall. Do you have traction control or lockers?

@aaronrules if you're coming without the kiddos, whose going to offend the Californians with their nerf gun comments?

Glad you'll be there again!

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

Also, I truly hope I did not offend anyone. Or if my kid offended anyone running around with his toy gun poppin caps at everyone...his dad is a gangsta and he takes after me waaaay too much ;)

Last edited:
Stock height for sure makes for a greater challenge, though doable with the correct line and driving techniqueWith your set up I would likely try the left side of the wall. Do you have traction control or lockers?
Atrac, model 2000.

The bypass goes way around the wall and bypasses the entire area (you can't even see the wall from the bypass). We have not run a bypass and non-bypass Poughkeepsie trail together...... although, that's not a bad idea. It would allow folks to go have a look and decide if they'd like to give it a shot or not. @bluecruiser's Poughkeepsie Gulch run has always been a highlight of HIH.

This is something I would be super interested in. I'm a minimally lifted ATRAC vehicle but I'd still like to see some folks run it. If the bypass isn't too long could a small group do the bypass in enough time to meet the group at the top of the wall?

I believe we're going to have a 3 strikes rule on this run from now on. Each driver gets 3 chances at making it up the wall. If you're unsuccessful, you can either be winched up, or turn around and take the bypass, meeting up with the group on the other side. We had the trail fairly backed up last year trying to get everyone up and over. Then we had some carnage that delayed us even further.

@COGerding is certainly responsible for some of the delays and carnage. :rofl:

Where in town can tent campers get a shower?

Silverton Lakes RV Resort has showers, I believe they have two locations in town (north and south), and you'd probably have to pay $28 a day to use facilities, or bring a solar shower, fill it up in the morning, hang it and will be good to go for shower before dinner.

Silverton Lakes RV Resort has showers, I believe they have two locations in town (north and south), and you'd probably have to pay $28 a day to use facilities, or bring a solar shower, fill it up in the morning, hang it and will be good to go for shower before dinner.
ACK sells a nice one that from what I gather gets great reviews. I have been meaning to pick one up anyways, so now is as good of time as any.

This is something I would be super interested in. I'm a minimally lifted ATRAC vehicle but I'd still like to see some folks run it. If the bypass isn't too long could a small group do the bypass in enough time to meet the group at the top of the wall?

It's possible, but may be more time consuming than needed or wanted. It's doable, but it might be better to drive to the wall, then turn around and go back to the bypass. Taking the bypass and approaching the top of the wall presents it's own challenges for trucks or drivers that are not comfortable with the Wall. There are some obstacles to clear heading that way as well. Poughkeepsie Gulch is an incredibly beautiful trail and even the bypass route has enough obstacles to make it fun.

There are a handful of places in town and in Ouray. We are working on a list with info right now. We're also working with a few RV resorts in town to get discounted showers.

It's possible, but may be more time consuming than needed or wanted. It's doable, but it might be better to drive to the wall, then turn around and go back to the bypass. Taking the bypass and approaching the top of the wall presents it's own challenges for trucks or drivers that are not comfortable with the Wall. There are some obstacles to clear heading that way as well. Poughkeepsie Gulch is an incredibly beautiful trail and even the bypass route has enough obstacles to make it fun.

That would be good too. I'd love to run the trail and SEE the wall, just not sure my vehicle will be up to spec to actually complete it. Thanks for the reply!

Checklist runs this year:

1) I want to at least see the wall, but the truck may still be stock form other than tires. Think it will make to the wall and then go bypass? If it means I have to buy new bumpers, I'll hit that wall and rip mine off "on accident"!!!

2) Lake Como...I want that sticker!!!

3) Where ever the most fun is going to be!!!

4) At least one run where @marcfj60 is leading....it's fun having a vague idea of where we should be going...and turning around is always the best part of any trail! HA! I kid...I kid.

Like @paflytyer said, there is plenty of challenge just getting to the Wall. Those who haven’t wheeled a bunch in their 100s will definitely get a workout and be pretty stoked about just getting to it, from what I’ve seen in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom