'84 A/C leak question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You will need a new Receiver/Drier. Do not use the Denso/Toyota stock w/ R134a - it's made for R12 only. Get an aftermarket that is compatible w/ R134, like the 4Seasons; they use a desiccant that is compatible with R12 and R134a. The aftermarket is thinner than the Denso so you'll have to modify the bracket or make some adapters out of plastic PVC pipe.

Best replacement is Toyota for R134, but it's $85: 88471-12080

Says Japan, but who knows. It was identical to the original OEM unit I removed. Call JT and cancel or ask them to price match. My experience with them has been good, but they can take a long time to ship.

IMG_9299.JPG

You will need a new Receiver/Drier. Do not use the Denso/Toyota stock w/ R134a - it's made for R12 only. Get an aftermarket that is compatible w/ R134, like the 4Seasons; they use a desiccant that is compatible with R12 and R134a. The aftermarket is thinner than the Denso so you'll have to modify the bracket or make some adapters out of plastic PVC pipe.

Spot on.
I got the Four Seasons 33403 from Rock Auto or $13 but had to modify the bracket with some rubber rings I had in the garage.

IMG_9350.JPG

I just discussed this yesterday with a member who has an early (82?) FJ60 and he says the 4/84 and earlier have different mounting feet/holes than the later 5/85-87 compressor. Part numbers are different - Denso website has 471-0204 as fitting both. I have no experience with the earlier units, but he said he was unable to find the earlier one that fit. Apparently, the difference is in the bracket the compressor bolts to.

The Toyota number '81-4/85 is 88320-60080 superseded to: 88320-14210-84 (discontinued)

He's not on the board very much, but maybe he can add his experience. @100kph ?

Just an FYI in case you have issues.

@Dekeman -- Those rings for AC drier look perfect. You remember what they are for/from?

Thanks.

Mine was already converted, but I have no idea how long ago, nor to what extent. One of the most obvious leaks is at the receiver/drier and I suspect it is still the R12 original because of the perfect fit. I already received new o-rings, and looking at that PDF I am now concerned what the o-rings I got fit. The PDF seems like some of the joints change for conversion from R12 to R134 and may require different o-rings?

@Dekeman -- Those rings for AC drier look perfect. You remember what they are for/from?

Thanks.
Pretty sure they were from Princess Auto - 2 1/2" trailer light grommets that I simply cut to fit. They work perfectly, look almost OEM.

I had also read somewhere that later compressor brackets are different, but the 471-0204 fit beautifully in my '83. Amazon said it would fit so I was not worried. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I got the o-rings changed out, and the new compressor and drier installed. Also changed out the schrader valves.

I need help with the manifold setup.

Edit: I have found other threads on converting to R134 that discuss the correct hi and low quick connect adapters.

I bought the manifold gauge set from harbor freight and their venturi vacuum pump. My ac compressor only has a quick disconnect on the low side. It's a threaded connector on the high side (see picture). I connected the manifold set by using the quick connect to low, and threaded onto high. Not sure that is going to work. The low side seemed loose, and I don't think threading on the connector can actuate the schrader valve on the high side.

20230216_222506.jpg

Last edited:
The low side port already has an adapter fitting on it. The high side is still the original R12 connection.

If the low side has a loose fit unscrew the adapter and put on another.

There are various adapters out there. Long, short, angled, etc. Some of the adapters have a Schrader valve that works alone. You pull the old one out of the old R12 port. BUT......some need the old one left in the R12 port and the adapter is setup to push it so just pay attention to the type you get.

If you can't get any of the charge port adapters to work for you, you can always have an A/C or hose shop put a charge port in your hoses. Anywhere that's easy for you to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom