8274 Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up an 8274-50 Warren wench a year ago to replace my perfectly good, fantastic performing, already-installed 9000i because I like to make more work for myself. I like it's speed, reputation, and inconic-ness (is that a word?). Anyhow, before I installed it I removed the brake and replaced the shaft bushing (?) and put a new seal behind it (Factory WARN parts). This bushing and seal have never stayed in place. To all of you who have experience with these old beasts, what gives? Any tricks to getting this bushing/seal to stay in place?

This unit was/is pretty clean, but obviously had some good use before I got a hold of it. If this bushing and seal should still refuse to stay in place after what ever tricks/techniques y'all hopefully give me, should I look at biting the bullet and replacing the shaft?

Thanks,
Justin

Pics:
Orange Sharpie is resting on said bushing. Knife is resting on the shaft that should be visible between the brake and the case/gear housing.
8274-50 bushing 1.JPG 8274-50 bushing 2.JPG

I've rebuilt several and have never changed that bushing so I have never had this issue.

They certainly will. I hate looking for winches under wenches on CL. And, I had no idea that Warren, AR made so many wenches I mean winches.:hmm:

That old wench extracted me from the bowels of the Mississippi River. Run that dirty girl. What's the worst that could happen?

I am trying to figure out what in the world Jay was doing in the bowels of the MS River...

Gettin' dirty. There is a pic somewhere of how to stick a Ranger and need an 80 to get it out. Not my proudest moment. Justin-thanks for letting me turn your thread into chat.

My first guess is that your lockplate isn't engaging the grove of the shaft, allowing the shaft and brake assy move, and the innards are pushing the bushing out.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1.197470/page-2#post-2910990

I looked at my winch, and I can't get a Sharpie in there like you can, even when I move the shaft in and out (mine has some play in it). Picture of mine attached.

I'd pull the top case off and double check the lockplate. Also, putting some silicone around the outside of the seal before you install it will "glue" it in place.

20140827_135312.jpg

"My first guess is that your lockplate isn't engaging the grove of the shaft, allowing the shaft and brake assy move, and the innards are pushing the bushing out.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1.197470/page-2#post-2910990

I looked at my winch, and I can't get a Sharpie in there like you can, even when I move the shaft in and out (mine has some play in it). Picture of mine attached.

I'd pull the top case off and double check the lockplate. Also, putting some silicone around the outside of the seal before you install it will "glue" it in place."

Thank you sir! I will crack it open and see what gives.

"How in the hell has someone worn out a 50 already?"

You should've seen the guy.:hillbilly: I probably should of walked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom