82 2F complete with tranny/transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at buying a 2F with 4-spped and trans. case out of an '82 to put in my tired '76 FJ40. Will this be a split case design and will I have any real problems installing? I am able to get the whole set-up delivered for $800. Too much or a good deal? 147,000 total miles on all pieces.

I JUST had a 3/79 engine put into my '76 FJ40. I bought the used engine/tranny/t-case and some misc parts for $900, so $800 sounds reasonable. I'd get compression numbers on the engine, though, to make sure you don't have any problems before you fork over the dough....

If you are looking at replacing your existing transmission and transfer case assembly:

Yes this will be a split case.

You will not have a parking brake on the rear of the transfer case any longer.

See if you can get the transmission crossmember and brackets with it.

If you are not going to replace your transmission and transfer case assembly:

The engine will bolt up to your truck.

:beer:

Thanks for the replies! What is the difference in the cross member for the transmission for this set-up compared to my '76? Is it possible to use my 4 speed and bolt the split case to it and leave the cross members alone? My plan is to rebuild the motor and go through both the trans and transfer case and replace seals and any bearings. I am wanting an entire engine/trans./t-case I can just slide in when complete.

The 76 didn't have a cross member.
It just bolted to the back of the engine bellhousing.

The later split case T-case uses a 19 spline input.
The stock 76 uses a 16 spline input.

Why would you have to build a cross member for the later stuff (other than just for extra support)? Is it much heavier than the stock 4 speed and one piece t-case?

My exact question. Someone here has got to have the answer!

Why would you have to build a cross member for the later stuff

Have to as in obligated or required?

No you would not be obligated or required to install the later style of cross member.

There is a weight increase when going to the split transfer case. With that said, many folks do not have a problem hanging them off of the four speed flywheel housing and not supporting the assembly.

Toyota must have thought it was enough of a difference to warrant it however. :meh:

The pieces are very nice to have however, and if they are not going to be used by the person removing the engine, then I would try and get them. I would be interested in them if you are not.

I prefer the support under the transmission, opposed to everything hanging off the flywheel housing.

Further, if the user ever decided to go with an H55, he would want/need these pieces or something similar fabricated.

:meh:

Thanks Poser! I will see if they still have the cross member and try to snag it if they do. I would really like the 5 speed, so probably a good idea to plan ahead. Thanks again!

Have to as in obligated or required?

No you would not be obligated or required to install the later style of cross member.

:meh:

I see.

I've been running my SM420-one piece case hanging off the bell housing for 3-4years now and haven't had any problems.. That said, I've strongly considered building a Cross member for extra support...

I ran a 420 and three-speed Land Cruiser transfer case hanging off the three-speed flywheel housing from 1993 to 2004 without issue.

When I switched to the Atlas transfer case behind the 420, I decided to build another support.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom