81 2f FJ-60 desmogged question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
vancouver island/ puerto escondido mexico
Hello everyone. I have a 1981 FJ-60 that I keep in Mexico, it’s been here for 10 years or so.
The truck was desmogged when I got it, and it came out of Arizona. I had the carb rebuilt here 3 years ago. It runs great but has always faltered at low idle when you give it gas, and has recently gotten large fluctuations in idle. I’ve tried adjusting the mixture screw but it does not do much, so I suspect a air leak. My plan today is to buy a can of starting fluid and track down the air leak.
I was wondering if anyone that knows about the desmog set up could look at a few photos and let me know if it looks like it is hooked up right.
I have gone through the other posts on desmog and haven’t found any set ups that run like this.
It’s a Aison Carb.
Runs awesome if I set the choke to 1000 Rpm.
Cheers

B1CD841B-430F-44C3-B5D0-C4192C0C5051.jpeg

If it runs better with the choke engaged, I’d be looking for a vacuum leak.

Sounds like you've got a vacuum leak. Get a vac gauge and see what you're pulling. Go from there. You'll never get an accurate adjustment of the idle mix with a vacuum leak in the system and trying to compensate by adjusting timing and idle mix will only make things worse.

Thanks guys
Grabbing a few vacuum lines to replace today, will try to find a vac gauge to borrow.
Does anyone know if the second port on the vacuum advance distributor should be capped ? I just have the one line going into the outside port-straight to bottom of carb, and the inside port of the vacuum advance is open.

Thanks guys
Grabbing a few vacuum lines to replace today, will try to find a vac gauge to borrow.
Does anyone know if the second port on the vacuum advance distributor should be capped ? I just have the one line going into the outside port-straight to bottom of carb, and the inside port of the vacuum advance is open.
That isn't your problem. The second port doesn't matter unless you're running the stock high-altitude-compensation system, which you aren't.
As others have said, it sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom