80 vs 100 argument in the 80 forum... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB said:
glad nobody noticed I was here... :D

wouldn't even know where to start with a 60 guy... words fail me... :D

I had a 1995 LC and now I have a 1999. Seem like very different vehicles. 80's I think are better looking, 100's are more luxury and feel like they are higher quality, just seems like a lot more vehicle. I can comment on off road ability, mine are mall cruisers :)

Get a 60 with lockers and spring over!!! hahahaha IFS wimps....... while on the subject of IFS, anyone come across front diff breakage with fairly minor off road work? Sorry for the hijack, Australian 4WD Monthly did their annual review and broke a brand new 100 TD auto front diff....very ordinary and a little too soft for Aussie conditions.

nothing really wrong with those 80's but towing them after a break down hurts fuel economy
2005_1003Image0103.jpg

2005_1003Image0091.jpg

2005_0911Image0105.jpg

Last edited:
MutleyFJ62 said:
Get a 60 with lockers and spring over!!! hahahaha IFS wimps....... while on the subject of IFS, anyone come across front diff breakage with fairly minor off road work? Sorry for the hijack, Australian 4WD Monthly did their annual review and broke a brand new 100 TD auto front diff....very ordinary and a little too soft for Aussie conditions.

Was it a 100 or a 105? I have heard complaints that the 105 (Solid front axle) has a fairly weak front axle taken from a Hi-Lux and there have been problems .

The IFS front diff has had a few failures but was strengthened in 2000+ models and can be made even stronger with the addition of the ARB lockers (usually desired by the heavy wheelers).

NMuzj, it was a 100 with IFS, smashed the ring/pinion. This was a brand new vehicle on a clay base with OE fitted Dunlop Grandtreks. very ordinary

MutleyFJ62 said:
NMuzj, it was a 100 with IFS, smashed the ring/pinion. This was a brand new vehicle on a clay base with OE fitted Dunlop Grandtreks. very ordinary

Wow, a one time occurance. :D
Geeze...I've never heard of an 80 or 60 front diff failure? :D

They seem to break them more in OZ than we do here. Some have speculated that it is not a weak front differential per se but more because a front wheel lifts, rotates in the air and then comes back down to a ground and immediately halts wreaking havoc on the gears.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Wow, a one time occurance. :D
Geeze...I've never heard of an 80 or 60 front diff failure? :D

I have never heard of a 60 series front diff failure. I'm sure it happens, but normally the birf would break first and protect the diff. I have heard of one 80 series front diff failure and about 5 100 series front diff failures. Do I remember right that the 100 diff casing is aluminum? It may allow more flex of the main components and internal mis-alignments- ie not a good thing.

Has anyone had a 100 series C/V joint break? I've seen them take some significant abuse and remain intact. I'm sure they would wear out, like any fulltime axle joint, but I mean break in use? When I saw Robbie repair Shotts' front axle in the Cruise Moab campground, I was impressed by the size and construction of the hubs and hub studs. That's a definite upgrade from the 80 series trucks. Not sure about the 5 lug studs though! Personally, I think they should have stuck with the traditional Land Cruiser pattern or even six 14mm studs.

One other thing that is much better in the 100 series trucks than the 80 series trucks. The 100 front brake pads are MUCH BETTER.

Unfortunate enough to have BUSTED 2 outer CV, while playing. Both CV's onthe drivers side (AUST.) The first time due to driver error or relying to much on the front locker on a rock out crop one day the second just bad luck :rolleyes:

There's always a "weak link" in every axle. It sounds like the birf's are the weak link in the 60 and 80 axle. Since the 100's cv's are beefed up, it's probably finding the stock diff to be the weak link. I would suspect with an ARB in front, the weak link would transfer out to the cv instead of the diff. BUSTED100, do you run an ARB up front? If you do, it would support this theory as would Shotts' breakage in Moab.

Greg B said:
There's always a "weak link" in every axle. It sounds like the birf's are the weak link in the 60 and 80 axle. Since the 100's cv's are beefed up, it's probably finding the stock diff to be the weak link. I would suspect with an ARB in front, the weak link would transfer out to the cv instead of the diff. BUSTED100, do you run an ARB up front? If you do, it would support this theory as would Shotts' breakage in Moab.

I had no breakage in Moab. In fact, I ran the trails with a bad CV and it held up. The dealer put on free boots for me under ext warr (I didn't need them, they did me a favor). When they did that they broke an outer boot clamp. By the time I got to Moab (3 months later) the CV was dry and knocking. The fact it held? WOW! And, we made it home OK.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I had no breakage in Moab. In fact, I ran the trails with a bad CV and it held up. The dealer put on free boots for me under ext warr (I didn't need them, they did me a favor). When they did that they broke an outer boot clamp. By the time I got to Moab (3 months later) the CV was dry and knocking. The fact it held? WOW! And, we made it home OK.

Wow, I missed that story along the way. That's pretty impressive!

Greg B said:
Wow, I missed that story along the way. That's pretty impressive!

The one disappointing thing about our Moab trip was this CV. I had planned to run all the trails open and letting TRAC kick in where needed. I wanted that added challenge of running open while the other Cruisers were locking.
I didn't do that. I locked too up figuring it be easier on the bad CV. Boooooo! :mad:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
The one disappointing thing about our Moab trip was this CV. I had planned to run all the trails open and letting TRAC kick in where needed. I wanted that added challenge of running open while the other Cruisers were locking.
I didn't do that. I locked too up figuring it be easier on the bad CV. Boooooo! :mad:

Oh, I can tell you this though.....a TRAC controlled 100 can run Golden Spike and do the Crack, the Stairs, and the ledge on GoldBar Rim in a heartbeat. The huge ledges we new to me. Other than that I've done more difficult obstacles in AZ.

So Greg....get that thing out there after you build it and don't worry about lockers. (Try that in an 80? :D )(No hate mail 80-owners. It's a fact that a TRAC-controlled 100 will leave a non-locked 80 in the dust.)

Greg B,
Sorry for the late response but yes my ride is locked front and rear, with ARB lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom