80 series vs newer Hilux/Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Hoping I can lend some of your wisdom regarding the following:
I am living in Australia and am in the market for another 4x4. I would love to get an 80 series (ideally later model 24valve 1HDT / 1HDFT). I know there is a heritage parts program but it doesn't cover everything. Junk yards are hit and miss and can be pricey. If I got this car I would be hoping to keep it forever.
The other option would be to get a newer model Hilux (or similar Tacoma in the US) around a 2010 model, already full equipped for touring, for the same price.
I have a maximum of $25,000 USD or $40,000 AUD.
How hard is it to come across new parts for the 80? Which is more car for your money? Any general advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

Hey guys,
Hoping I can lend some of your wisdom regarding the following:
I am living in Australia and am in the market for another 4x4. I would love to get an 80 series (ideally later model 24valve 1HDT / 1HDFT). I know there is a heritage parts program but it doesn't cover everything. Junk yards are hit and miss and can be pricey. If I got this car I would be hoping to keep it forever.
The other option would be to get a newer model Hilux (or similar Tacoma in the US) around a 2010 model, already full equipped for touring, for the same price.
I have a maximum of $25,000 USD or $40,000 AUD.
How hard is it to come across new parts for the 80? Which is more car for your money? Any general advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
Maybe try posting in the 80 series forum. There's at least one Aussie who's a regular there.

$40k AUD probably won't buy you a whole lot of 1HD-FT equipped 80.

30yr old 12valve 1HD-T with 4-500k km are going for $25k AUD. Expect to put 5-10k into it over a year or two if you want it to be a forever vehicle.

25yr old 24valve 1HD-FT are probably $35k AUD for 500k km mileage, and people are asking $75k AUD for 1HD-FT with around 250-300k km.
Again, expect to put 5-10k into bringing it up to forever car status, unless you cough up large for a life mileage unit in pristine condition. Even then, you're dealing with 25-30 year old rubbers, bushings, bearings, houses, seat cushions etc etc etc

1fz-fe powered 80 of the same vintage will be 50-60% of the price of diesel ones are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom