[80 series or 100 series?] What would you choose based on these facts? (1 Viewer)

Vehicle of choice:

• 1997 LX450

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2003+ LX470

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently own and daily a 1997 80 series. However, I think I've gotten to the point where I am looking to upgrade to the 100 series which many threads have pointed out is a much better daily driver. Being in Canada, most supply of the TLC is in the form of LX450/470s so my options will be limited to those two. Imported TLCs go for a premium up here.

A little about my driving and area:
- Moderate off road x5 and camping x2 or x3 times annually.
- Spend a lot of time recovering vehicles that are stuck in ditches in Canadian Winter
- Daily-driving in the city includes many highways (30mph to 50mph to 30mph)
- City is in a geographically hilly area (ups and downs of 100-200 meters)

Plans for rig:
Steel bumper front+winch
Rear bumper (double swing arm, tire carrier, ladder)
2.5" lift
33" tires
Roof top tent/roof rack

Due to the hilly area and the need to merge while climbing from 30 to 50 or 60mph, the 1FZFE - 4 spd enjoys taking it's time. I think owning a 2UZFE - 5spd in the 2003+ will help.

If you had to choose one, which one would you choose based on the driving/area?

I will be test driving a LX470 over the weekend but I would love to hear from other members of the community.

Last edited:
I’ve owned both an 80 & 100 and I made my original purchase decision based on towing a small single axle work trailer. I no longer tow but I think you’ll appreciate the V8 in the conditions you mention. Although, I can’t speak from experience about the newer trans.

On the other hand, if you could install the turbo kit coming out from Wit’s End then maybe the 80 would be fine.

Have you already made a decision by now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom